New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Ilse Igel, Then and Now

In the mid 1970's, when my sister and I were little, my parents took us on a trip to Germany. To keep us occupied on the long drives between mountains and castles, we stopped by a bookstore and my mom bought us a bunch of tiny children's books.

One of the books was called Ilse Igel, and it was about a hedgehog helicopter pilot that did favors for people. Little Susi, for example, was afraid that it would rain on her birthday party, so Ilse flew up to the rainclouds and lassoed them out of the way. Young Philipp, meanwhile, wanted to help Frau Potthoff wash the upper-floor windows on her apartment building, so Ilse flew to the top and cleaned the windows with a mop. And Peter Maus, a police mouse, needed Ilse's help to stop a thief who was making off with a million Deutsche marks from the local bank. Isle used a cable and winch to remove the only bridge out of town, causing the robber to plunge into the water in his yellow car with red polka dots.

Now that we have Zachary, who is two years old, my mom found these old books and gave them to me. They've quickly become some of Zachary's favorite books to read on the subway to and from school. No, he doesn't read German, nor do I, though the plot is easy enough to figure out and there are plenty of cognates. But he still loves flipping through these cute little comics, and gets a big thrill when the robber drives into the water and he can say "splash!"

Ilse Igel was written and illustrated by Jørgen Clevin and first published in 1972. It is a Pixi book.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello and greetings from Munich, Germany.
My name is Martina and today I finally decided to answer you. For more than two years I follow your blog. I´ve found your blog by chance and read it regulary. Very exciting, your life in New York!
I hope, that you don´t stop this blog, you can be sure, you have one "munich reader" at least.

I´am Graphik-Designer and Web-Designer, have also a blog and two websites. You can see it under www.geister-blog.de and www.geister-design.de
Once more, greetings from Bavaria,
Go on this way,
Martina

4:17 PM  
Blogger KennethEdelstein said...

keep sharing with us, please....I will waiting your up date everyday!! Have a nice and relax day!..................................................

9:24 PM  
Blogger 搖滾天王 said...

死亡是悲哀的,但活得不快樂更悲哀。 ..................................................

2:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home