New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, March 08, 2009

Rockefeller Center

Jenn and I took Zachary into Manhattan yesterday to meet Jenn's friends Lisa and Arturo and their daughter Amelie, who were in town from New Haven. We had an early dinner at Ruby Foo's in Times Square (not a normal hangout for us, to be sure, but it was good for kids) and then wandered around Rockefeller Center, as they needed to kill an hour before taking the bus back home. The weather was unseasonably warm for late winter. The above photo is not the closeup that it appears to be. I actually shot it from well across the ice skating rink and just cropped it to feature Prometheus. You can click on the photo to make it big.

I like the way Zach is smiling in this picture. He's just now learning to smile for the camera.

You ever see that show 30 Rock? This is 30 Rock, the building, where you'll find NBC Studios and the Rainbow Room. The Top of the Rock observation deck is also up there, though I've never been. It's supposed to be great.

And here's a wider shot of Prometheus and the skaters. Anyway, we all wandered around for a while, and I pointed out the Latvian flag among all the other flags that line the plaza. We sat on a bench for a while and Zachary and Amelie had fun pulling leaves off the bushes and tossing them into the fountain. At first we tried to stop them, but after a while we gave up. In any case, I've always like the Rockefeller Center area for its Art Deco architecture and constant activity. As far as tourist centers of New York City go, it's a much more pleasant place to hang out than, say, Times Square. We stayed for a while and let the kids run around, then Lisa, Arturo, and Amelie went to find their bus, and we took the subway home to Brooklyn.

If you've read this far, then let me take this opportunity to remind you that I write all kinds of stuff for the web. Check out my Jaunted stuff here, my Momondo stuff here, and my old Gridskipper stuff here. Beyond that you can just Google my name and all kinds of stuff will come up. Pass along or share anything that appeals to you. Clicks are good.

1 Comments:

Blogger Gomat said...

hi. Im from Indonesia. I'm interest to know more about Rockefeller Center, especially about Ice rink and Prometheus statue in front of it. Would you tell me? Thanks.

12:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home