New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, November 16, 2008

The East River and Manhattan from Java Street in Greenpoint, Brooklyn

Here's a photo I took last night at around 6:30 p.m. I was at the end of Java Street in Greenpoint, Brooklyn, looking out over the East River to Manhattan. I have a rather cheap and old digital camera, but I used the "night shot" setting and was able to get kind of a neat photo out of the situation by resting the camera on a Jersey barrier so it would stay still while the shutter was open.

I think the ambient moisture in the air (it started pouring down rain a few minutes after this photo) captures the city lights over the water in a nice way. Click on the photo to make it big.

By the way, the East River isn't really a river at all, it's a tidal estuary. And I think the old stories about mob guys putting their adversaries into concrete shoes and dumping them into the East River is a myth. You'd have to stay still for a long time for the concrete to harden. It hardly seems worth the hassle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home