New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Friday, July 25, 2008

Today Was a Good Day

Jenn is out with her mom seeing South Pacific on Broadway, and I just put Zachary to bed, so I finally have a moment to myself. Tchaikovsky is on the radio, and it's pleasant enough outside to leave the windows open instead of cranking up the air conditioner. It's Friday night and I can finally take a breath. Let me savor that for a second, because I've been working hard. Deep breath ...

Today was a good day. The weather was nice. Work was fine. We gathered by the window to watch a big balloon rise above Central Park. I left at 6:00 p.m. on the dot and raced downtown to Chelsea to pick up Zachary from day care, then continued on to Brooklyn. Zachary was happy and giggly on the subway, making friends out of strangers as he always does. We dropped by the grocery store on the way home and bought some seltzer.

Okay, I also bought some beer. Radeberger Pilsner. Big bottles only cost $1.99 there. I'm sipping one now and it's delicious. If you're reading this and feel compelled to race over to C-Town right now and buy some, forget it. I bought the last four bottles. Sorry.

As soon as we got home, I put the beer and seltzer in the 'fridge and very quickly changed out of my work clothes and into shorts, sneakers, and a t-shirt. Then I grabbed Zachary's sippy cup and jogging stroller, and we made our way out to McCarren Park. It was 7:30 when we finally got rolling. The sun was still up, but wouldn't be for much longer. I jogged to the park while Zach relaxed in the stroller and enjoyed the ride.

Once we got there, it was a surreal experience that you can only have in New York. So many different, interesting things were going on that I almost envied Zachary's perspective on it at just 20 months of age.

Here's what was going on at the park tonight:

I could hear the music coming from McCarren Park Pool about two blocks away. It turned out to be a band I had never heard of called Ween. We didn't go in, of course, but you could hear the music just fine by the soccer field and jogging track, where we were hanging out. Ween sounded pretty good, like an outdoor summertime concert should.

We jogged a lap around the track. On one end was a group of Latin American dancers doing some kind of native dance. A drummer was keeping time, and some of them were wearing indigenous striped wool outfits. I'm not sure where they were from exactly but I'll guess Bolivia or Guatemala or someplace that still has strong pre-Hispanic traditions. Zach and I stopped to watch the dancers.

On the eastern corner was a dreadlocked personal trainer we know named Kiki. He was leading a class so I didn't bother him, but he is always nice to Zach ("How you doing, my brother? All right, my brother.") We wouldn't know Kiki if it weren't for Zach, who is amazingly deft at arranging introductions.

On the southern apron of the track was a group of break dancers getting ready for one of their regular outdoor dance sessions. They were just getting warmed up, but Zach and I have seen them dancing up a storm a few times recently. It's always a cool scene: somebody brings a boom box with the latest dance mix, and people take turns on the linoleum, popping and spinning and body rocking and other terms I'm not familiar with. Some of them are quite good and it's fun to watch.

In the brand new luxury apartments above them, the contestants from the latest Top Chef show were moving in to 20 Bayard. Jenn loves that show. I'll admit I've watched it with her a few times.

I rolled the stroller onto an open strip of grass and let Zach run free. The sun was just setting like a big fireball sinking behind Manhattan. Two soccer teams were battling it out on the field in front of us. The music from the concert washed over us. I tried to take Zach's picture but he kept turning away. We both savored the moment and then it was time to head back home.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

Aw, I'm sorry I missed it. But I'm happy to check out the scene with my guys tonight.

4:04 PM  
Anonymous web designing said...

Hi you mention here the day which i used of doing work.any ways your blog is very good and having family environment i like it !
Thanks fore sharing your knowledge!
cheers!

- J.
Web Designing

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Web Solutions said...

Hi

A good day for a little baby and he will enjoy now.

12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home