New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, November 11, 2007

An Elephant in McCarren Park Pool

I happened upon an elephant while I was walking with Zachary in McCarren Park this afternoon. Elephants are somewhat rare in Brooklyn, so I went back to the house and grabbed my camera. As you may know, the McCarren Park swimming pool hasn't had water in it for decades, but over the past five years or so it has become a venue for movies, concerts, and, apparently, elephants. Click on any of these photos to make them big like elephant. Here's a wide shot.

I had taken Zachary to the playground at the end of the park and pushed him in a swing for a few minutes, but he got tired of swinging, so I strapped him back in the Ergo and strolled around the park. I walked to the fence at the end of the playground to see what was going on in the pool, and sure enough, there was this big elephant. Here's a close-up.


Now, you may be wondering why there was an elephant in the McCarren Park Pool. If you're wondering this, you probably don't live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. An artsy neighborhood like this has weird stuff going on all the time, and I really wasn't that surprised to see it. But it was there for a specific purpose, one which I will only partially divulge, because I respect the concept of what they're doing. In short, the elephant is part of a film that will be screened in an art museum. Here's one more photo:

As for what the film is about, I have to say I'm a little bit proud of myself for guessing it so quickly. As Zachary and I looked through the fence, I noticed somebody standing near the elephant that immediately reminded me of certain parable involving an elephant. My suspicion was confirmed later when I spoke to a guy who was guarding the entrance. That's the topic of the film.

Anyway, the filmmakers probably want to keep it on the down low, and I'd rather not be the guy who divulges the secret. Others might, in fact there are probably a few dozen other Williamsburg residents blogging about the elephant right now, but I'm just happy that I was able to show Zachary his first elephant today.

And it was a majestic elephant, tall and gray and friendly seeming (it didn't stomp on anybody). I enjoyed looking at the elephant today, and was impressed at what a big and magnificent creature it was. Anyway, I just wanted to share my elephant tale. Now it's back to work for me. Oh, one more thing. The elephant was from Commerford Zoo in Goshen, Connecticut, at least according to the truck it arrived in.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for the nice pics

http://bh.hevre.co.il/forum/topic.asp?topic_id=2311793

from a local hasidic news website

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home