New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Pizza Slice = Subway Fare

I've lived in New York City a dozen years now, and in that time I've noticed a few things. One of the things I've noticed, being a big pizza eater and subway rider, is that the price of a slice of plain, cheese pizza from your standard neighborhood pizzeria is almost always the same price as a single ride on the subway.

When I first moved to New York in November 1994 one subway token was $1.25, and so was a slice of pizza. Then, in 1995, the fare went to $1.50, and within weeks, pizza did the same. Now we use MetroCards, which do offer volume discounts, but the price of a single ride is $2, and a standard slice of pizza is also $2. As the New York kids say, "Yo, let me get a slice."

Well, get ready for another subway fare increase. My local pizza shop, Sal's Pizza on Lorimer Street in Brooklyn, recently raised the price of a plain slice to $2.25. I wonder how long it will take for the subway fare to catch up. The funny thing is, the very next morning after I found out about Sal's pizza price increase, I heard on the radio some news story about how the MTA is starting to make noise about another fare hike. I smiled.

Has anybody else noticed the pizza/subway parity? How far do you think it goes back?

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Intersting connection, one I've made myself in my dozen years in the Windy Apple. They claim the price of the cheeze dictates the price of the slice...perhaps a key figure on the MTA board also has something to do with the cheeze supply to most pizza shops.
By the way, most expensive slice in NYC(for by the slice places): $2.75 + tax at Pronto Pizza, e14th @ Irving.
-seth

11:52 AM  
Blogger anon2 said...

i hate to date myself, but i remember in the mid 60s it was 20 cent for a token and 20 cents for a slice. then they both went up 35 cents each, in the late sixties i think. then 50, 75, ect.

1:32 PM  
Blogger Sherri said...

You are not the first person to notice the correlation between the subway and the cost of a slice. I too, remember paying .20 cents for a slice of pizza at Tony's on Avenue D in Brooklyn, right across the street from P.S. 208.
Sherri Thorne

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home