New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Village Halloween Parade


Last night was Halloween, so Jenn and I headed to her friend Joy's apartment to watch the Village Halloween Parade. Joy lives on Sixth Avenue, so her apartment overlooks the parade route. That's great, because the sidewalks along Sixth get really crowded and rowdy.

I know the photo of the dancing ghouls above isn't very good, so I'd like to direct you to several places where you can find excellent photo documentation of the parade.

So we hung out and watched the people going by for two hours or so and it was nice. I've always liked Halloween, and it's no surprise that some people in New York really go all out. It was the first time I've had a Sixth Avenue apartment as a vantage point, and we made it work very well by having New York 1 news on the television while we were looking out the window. The TV cameras were set up about two blocks from where we were, so we always had a head's up on who was coming next. The parade's grand marshalls were Gene Simmons and Paul Stanley of the once-popular rock group Kiss. They rolled by in full costume on a Kiss float.

I didn't see a repeat of my favorite ensemble costume from last year: a group of about eight people formed a pie eating contest, complete with a carnival busker, fake pies, and tables. Every block they would set up and redo the pie eating contest, with a different winner. For ensemble costumes this year, I was impressed by the group of about 25 zombies that did the dance routine from Michael Jackson's Thriller. They were very good, and I was inspired by their performance.

When we made our way back home, I was left with two lessons for future Village Halloween Paraders: the streets aren't as well-lit as you might hope, so costumes that have self-illumination of some kind are very eye-catching. Second, and I can not stress this enough, if you are lucky enough to ride on a float, DO SOMETHING. Don't just stand there and enjoy the ride. You have to dance, or do whatever routine that goes along with your costume. There was nothing more pathetic than seeing a well-done float roll by with a bunch of do-nothings just standing there. You're on stage, people. Action!

Jenn and I are now three weeks from parenthood. You think Halloween is scary?

3 Comments:

Blogger Renegade said...

They don't throw things from the parade floats up there? No wonder those float riders were just standing around!

You should come check out the parades down here...

Congrats and good luck on the new addition!

Please visit Renegade's BS

5:18 PM  
Blogger allison said...

NO I DONT THINK HALLOWEEN IS SCARY! IT IS THE COOLEST TIME OF YEAR! WE HAVE A GREAT TIME WITH THE KIDS! WE DONT HAVE A PARADE HERE WE JUST TRICK OR TREAT. THE KIDS HAD A GREAT TIME AND GOT LOTS OF CANDY! OF COURSE I HAD TO CHECK IT ALL FOR SAFETY,LOL NOW I KNOW WHY WE DO THAT...SO WE GET TO EAT THE GOOD STUFF FIRST!!! THE CROSBYS

6:14 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

My personal parade costume favorites: the human iPod, the live Mona Lisa painting, the Tetris game, and the California raisin box. None of them topped last year's pie eating contest group for theatrics though.
Look forward to dressing our little one up next year.

12:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home