New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Meet a New New Yorker

Meet our son, Zachary Alexander, one of the newest New Yorkers in the city. He was born at 8:31 a.m. on Thanksgiving morning, November 23, 2006. At birth he weighed seven pounds two ounces, and measured 20 and 1/2 inches long.

I don't have time to go through all the details, since caring for a newborn is a 24-hour-a-day job, but here's the gist of it.

I was at work last Wednesday when Jenn called. She told me to grab our bags from home and meet me at the hospital. Bags in hand, I reported to St. Luke's Roosevelt Hospital at about 3:30 p.m. I met her in a delivery room on the 12th floor and we hung out together and listened to classical music on a portable radio I brought as her contractions came along. Neither of us got much sleep.

Zachary was born after a brief natural delivery the following morning. Jenn was very brave and did a great job, and Zachary is in excellent health. Jenn's been a great mother for nine months already and is continuing to be a great mother. The three of us spent Thanksgiving day in a recovery room with a nice view of Midtown Manhattan. I wasn't allowed to spend the night in the recovery room, so I went home to Brooklyn for the night.

The following morning (Friday) I went back to the hospital. By late afternoon we were discharged, and Jenn's mom gave us a ride home to Brooklyn. I've taken a few days off work and we've been doing our best to get adjusted to our new baby's feeding and sleeping habits, which has meant that our own feeding and sleeping habits have had to change quite a bit. Several people have come to visit, including my parents, which was great. I'm sure they're quite fond of Zachary. They brought big boxes of baby supplies they purchased at Costco in Virginia.

I'm feeling pretty woozy from lack of sleep, but we are both overjoyed that we have such a great new son. Welcome to the world, Zachary. I look forward to showing you around.

More when time allows.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to seeing the little dude in person. Welcome indeed!!!

-seth a.

9:51 AM  
Anonymous Marty said...

In a word: Adorable... not that I expected anything else considering the grade 'A' genetics from the parents... Can't wait to meet him.

5:28 PM  
Anonymous jen and steven said...

soooo cute! congrats. can't wait to meet zachary and to see you guys, too.

9:41 PM  
Blogger allison said...

OH HE IS JUST BEAUTIFUL!!! I CAN SEE JEN AND YOU IN HIM!!! IT IS A VERY HARD AJUSTMENT IN YOUR LIFE, BUT IT IS ALL WORTH IT!!! CONGRATS TO YOU AND JEN!! TRY TO SLEEP WHEN THE BABY DOES AND LEARN TO EAT WITH ONE HAND DURING FEEDINGS!!!! NOW YA'LL KNOW WHAT A TRUE BLESSING FROM GOD IS AND YOU CAN'T IMAGINE LOVING SOMETHING THAT MUCH HUH? GIVE JEN OUR LOVE AND TELL HER TO TRY AND STAY RESTED AND TAKE IT SLOW. THE CROSBYS

11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home