New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, August 10, 2006

Magical Hour in New York


I took this photo at Noah and Elizabeth's wedding reception on Saturday evening. While the photo itself is nothing to write home about, it does capture that certain quality of light that artists say occurs during the magical hours, both at sunrise and sunset. In my case, I usually only see the magical light at sunset. It's hard to describe what it is that makes the light so striking at these times, but it becomes softer and really brings out the colors in surfaces that look somewhat washed out during the mid-day hours. There's an especially good view from my office of all the pretty white buildings that line the eastern edge of Central Park on Fifth Avenue. As the sun begins to set, the various tones and colors come alive, and you realize why professional photographers like to capture images during those fleeting moments.

2 Comments:

Blogger allison said...

THAT IS AWESOME, I LOVE THE SUNSETS! WE HAVE THE MOST BEAUTIFULS SUNSETS OVER THE MOUNTAINS WHERE WE LIVE, MY HUSBAND IS FROM BALTIMORE AND HAD NEVER SEEN SUCH SUNSETS AND MOUNTAIN VIEWS AND THE STARS IN THE SKY AT NIGHT UNTIL HE MOVED HERE. HE SAYS HE DOESNT THINK HE WILL EVER STOP BEING FASCINATED WITH ITS BEAUTY! I CAN ONLY SEND PICS IN EMAIL SO I WILL HAVE TO SEND YOU AND JEN SOME OF THESE VIEWS ONE DAY! THE CROSBYS

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Nicole said...

Beautiful colors! I love the golden/rose-colored light that reflects off buildings in NYC at sunset (and sunrise). I hear that air pollution enhances the colors, which is a kind of sad. But it is still lovely to see.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home