New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, July 16, 2006

Summer in Brooklyn


On Saturday Jenn and her friend Cindy and I watched the Dancing of the Giglio, an annual event in Williamsburg. We are fortunate to live just down the street from the carnival area, and we check out the dance and the carnival pretty much every year. Yesterday was a hot day but we had a great view of the Giglio from a raised viewing platform that surprisingly few people had availed themselves of. While I was looking for some shade to protect my fair skin from the sun's powerful rays I ducked into the shadow caused by this merry-go-round. While I was stooping down, cowering from the light, I noticed the carousel horses and thought that the angle was nice, so I snapped the photo displayed above.

The Giglio Boys carry the giglio all the way down Havemeyer Street, which we are looking down in the following photo. You can click on any of these photos to make them big.



The giglio makes periodic stops along the way, where the band plays several songs and the boys take a rest and drink from cans of Bud Light. The giglio is impressive to see close-up, especially when it sways back and forth as its bearers struggle to maintain balance.

The next picture shows you what the giglio band looks like. As if carrying around a huge tower isn't enough, the Giglio Boys also have to carry around a brass band.



This next photo shows you what the bearers look like. It's not an easy job, but it is a coveted job. Giglio bearer spots are handed down through the generations. It also looks like a lot of fun.



Here's another view of the Giglio Boys and their charge.



After we watched the giglio march by, Jenn, Cindy, and I went to Spike Hill, and then to the junk museum. After that I was tired, but Jenn dragged me to a clothing boutique called Catbird. She bought two shirts as I waited impatiently in the Man Chair.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Nicole said...

These are nice photos! I especially like the first one of the carousel horses. The angle is interesting, the composition is nice, and the colors are great. I also like the last one you posted of the Giglio bearers. What hard work! I've never been to the Dancing of the Giglio festival, but it seems like quite an event!

I've just recently started a blog with photos and other stuff about New York City. Check it out if you're interested!

8:12 AM  
Blogger allison said...

THIS IS VERY INTERESTING I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THIS. THAT LOOKS LIKE A JOB I WOULD NOT WONT TO CARRY THAT! GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU I HEARD THE NEWS THE OTHER DAY ABOUT THE EXPLOSION AND THOUGHT DAMN I WONDERED IF VIC IS OK AND GOT TO SEE THIS BUILDING. THAT WAS HORRIBLE NEWS! ALSO I LOVE THE CAROUSEL PICTURE I COLLECT CAROUSELS FROM ALL OVER PLACES I GO! LOVE IT! THE CROSBYS

11:03 AM  
Blogger Mv$H said...

yeah they are wonderful photos. Thanks Victor. I don't know you, just accidentally stumbled across your blog!

12:32 AM  
Anonymous tommy panepinto said...

great photos only because i'm in them. i've been a LIFTER for over 40 years and still going strong. nice job see you next year. tommy

10:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home