New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Saturday, July 29, 2006

New York Truck



It's sizzling today in New York. Weather.com is telling me that the current temperature is 89 Fahrenheit and feels like 92 Fahrenheit. In celcius that's 32 and 34 degrees, respectively. If you ask me, it feels even hotter than that, but then again when I was last outside I was sweaty from leaving the dojo, which made it feel that much stickier.

As for the above photo, this truck was parked on First Avenue near the corner of 15th Street. I noticed it as I was headed to my bank, and I thought it looked cool, so when the light was red I walked across the avenue and shot three pictures of it. Only one car honked at me, but it didn't seem like a nasty honk. Some people just honk all the time, for no apparent reason. That's one of the downsides of New York. Too much gratuitous horn-honking. It's not that it's so horrible that other drivers hear you, but it takes away from the quality of life of the people living in the area with windows near the street. Imagine little Johnny, trying diligently to do his homework, so he can go to college and help his family. Just when he's about to make a breakthrough on a tough math problem, HOOOOONK! He loses his concentration, the homework goes unfinished, Johnny flunks out of school, and his family has to move to New Jersey. Please people, use discretion with your horn honking. Think of little Johnny.



That's a closeup of the alien. I call this photo Take Me 2 Yr Leader. I could easily dedicate this whole blog to New York graffiti, but there are other sites that do it better than I ever could, including gammablog and Streetsy.

2 Comments:

Blogger allison said...

THAT IS SOME COOL ART WORK ON THAT TRUCK! LOV THE PICS! WE DONT HAVE HORN BLOWING IN THE SMALL TOWN WE LIVE IN, SO WHEN A HORN BLOWS IT IS USUALLY FOLLOWED BY THE FINGER AND SOME CUSS WORDS, OR IT IS SOMEONE YOU KNOW,FOLLOWED BY THE YELL OUT THE WINDOW AT YOU TO SAY HEY! LOL WHICH IS VERY REDNECKESS, BUT IT GOES ON LIKE THE NEWS AROUND HERE! LOL THE CROSBYS

1:18 AM  
Anonymous Nicole said...

Interesting truck art! I took a class on Islam in college and learned that in Pakistan, the trucks are ornately decorated. It's really amazing to see them. (There are probably lots of pictures on the web.)

Ditto on the excessive horn-honking in NY. I go elsewhere and I can't get used to the quiet!

Thanks for the links! I couldn't open gammablog though.

1:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home