New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Skywalker Scrunchies



When I was a little kid, I was very much into Star Wars, and I owned a few Star Wars activity books that had comics, games, and stories. One of the books included a recipe for corn flake-based cookies called Skywalker Scrunchies. Another had a recipe for Chewbacca's Chewies, which were made with caramel.

Using the recipes, my mom made a batch of each. I remember thinking it was a miracle that she was able to just up and bake these cookies from recipes in a Star Wars book.

The cookies must have been good, because I remembered them after all these years.



Last week at work, my friend Derya, who is an excellent baker, was asking around for good cookie recipe ideas. Skywalker Scrunchies and Chewbacca's Chewies just popped into my head. We found the recipes online, and wouldn't you know, the next morning Derya brought in one container of Skywalker Scrunchies and another of Chewbacca's Chewies. They were fantastic, and a trip back thirty years in time.

In case you're wondering, I prefer Skywalker Scrunchies to Chewbacca's Chewies. They're both good, but Scrunchies are better.

3 Comments:

Blogger graphiklabor said...

I live in munich, germany, enjoy the sunny days and that only, which is missing to me, is the recipe of the genial cookies. you must know, I´ve also looked starwars as I was a child. Beam me up, Scottie
Bavarian Geatings http://graphiklabor.blogspot.com/

2:42 AM  
Blogger Adam said...

Funny....I was watching Star Wars the other day with my kids and I remembered Chewbacca's Chewies and i remembered those activity books. I used to read them over and over.

1:56 PM  
Anonymous Glon Neld said...

Yeah and that book had directions for making an X-Wing fighter out of a toilet paper roll! Good thing, because mine looked like crap!! I loved those books too, Skywalker Scrunchies were my faves. I made em' myself, at like 10.

8:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home