New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Chumley's


On Tuesday evening after work I went to a former speakeasy in Greenwich Village called Chumley's with my friend Tom from Esquire. That's Tom in the right of the frame above, sitting on a barstool, sipping a pilsner. I wrote an entry about Chumley's for Gridskipper, which I encourage you to read here. I'll wait. ... Okay, thanks for reading it.


As I mentioned in the entry, Chumley's draws a generally mainstream crowd these days, but in its heyday (the Roaring Twenties) it was populated with literary giants and the people who love them. Note the portrait of Ernest Hemingway in the photo above.


Chumley's serves it's own line of beers. They're not great, but they're not bad either. It's nice to just sip some suds in such an interesting atmosphere.

1 Comments:

Blogger allison said...

THAT IS AN AWESOME LOOKING PLACE! READ YOUR ENTRY ON IT ALSO, THAT WAS GREAT TO HEAR MORE ON THIS PLACE, NEAT PIECE OF HISTORY! I HAVE NEVER SEEN THAT MANY BEERS ON TAP! MY HUSBAND WOULD HAVE THOUGHT HE FOUND A PIECE OF HEAVEN, HE LOVES TRYING NEW BEERS THAT YOU CANT JUST GET AT THE STORE

1:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home