New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Vegas Baby


I received this quarter in change at David's Bagels this afternoon, as I was picking up some onion bagels and egg salad on my way home from karate. It was the first time I've seen the Nevada quarter, which is one of five state quarters coming out in 2006. The others are Nebraska, Colorado, North Dakota, and South Dakota. Have YOU received a Nevada quarter yet? It's pretty cool-looking, at least when it's still really shiny. It shows three wild mustangs galloping across the desert plain, with the sun peeking over snowy mountains in the background. Sagebrush is also represented.

Nevada was our 35th state, admitted into the club on Halloween Day in 1864. It joined the union before the end of the Civil War in 1865.

The New York quarter, which came out in 2001, is also nice.

Anyway, I thought the new Nevada quarter was especially neat because Jenn and I will be traveling to Nevada next month, to visit Ted and Sonny in Las Vegas and get out of the city for a few days. [This is Ted's Blog with photos of Nevada life.]

Jenn has been to Nevada (primarily Las Vegas) a number of times, but it will be my first-ever visit to the state. Our plan is to see the highlights of the Las Vegas strip for a day or two, spending the rest of the time concentrating on active outdoor pursuits, such as hiking and adventuring in the surrounding desert and mountain areas. We may also take the damn tour.

Getting back to my bagel shop story, I pointed out the new quarter to one of the two counter girls running the register (I think most of the employees at David's Bagels are from Thailand). She said "ooh, let me see it" and I handed it to her and she checked it out admiringly. Then she told me that earlier in the day a customer attempted to pass a counterfeit $20 bill. She ran that special counterfeit-detection pen over it and it gave an unambiguous verdict of fake. She showed me the pen and mimiced the motion of running it over a bill. It was her first counterfeit bill detection, she told me, somewhat proudly. I told her matter-of-factly that counterfeit money comes from North Korea.

Speaking of counterfeiting, I'm not sure about the legality of reproducing images of money, so please do not print out a page of this blog and attempt to purchase something with it. It has no value except what it means to you. Thanks.

3 Comments:

Blogger allison said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:04 PM  
Blogger allison said...

GREAT TO KNOW ABOUT THE NEVADA QUARTER, WE HAVE THAT JAZZY LITTLE MAP YOU STICK THEM IN AS THEY COME OUT WITH NEW, SO I WILL BE IN SEARCH OF THAT ONE AROUND TOWN! HOPE YA'LL HAVE A GREAT TIME IN NEVADA WITH TED AND SONNY NEXT MONTH! I HAVE READ HIS BLOGS ON OCCASION.HOWEVER YOUR BLOGS BRING TO LIFE A GREAT PERSONALITY THAT I LOVE TO READ! WHAT ZODIAC SIGN ARE YOU? IT FEELS LIKE ARIES OR SCORPIO? I AM ARIES/TUESDAY 28TH BEING MY BIRTHDAY WHICH I WILL TRY TO DISREGARD! LOL ANYWAY IF YOUR BLOGS ARE COUNTERFEIT, THEN KEEP THEM PRESSES RUNNING!!! THE CROSBYS

9:12 PM  
Blogger Ted Madsen said...

First, we will go on the hike of death wandering around in a dehydrated stupor until we are rescued by LVFD and forced to pay thousands of dollars for the airlift... after having our 15 minutes of fame we will show up on the Nevada version of FARC.

After rehydrating, it's off to bungee jumping off of the Stratosphere while sipping martinis... and then...

8:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home