New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Sunday, March 19, 2006

Saint Patrick's Day in New York


Friday was Saint Patrick's Day, and my plan was to go home after work and hide from the hooligans. Much like New Year's Eve, the evening of St. Pat's is considered amateur night by many New Yorkers due to the influx of booze tourists via the many bridges and tunnels to Manhattan, and it was especially so this year because it fell on a Friday. I enjoy the parade, and green is my favorite color, but I'm not Irish (though I've been told I could pass for Irish to anyone but an Irishman) so the holiday doesn't have too much significance in my life.

That said, I'm not a complete party pooper, and I do love a good Irish pub, so when Steve K. called to see if I wanted to get a quick drink after work in honor of the day, I consented. We met at Union Square at around 6:20 p.m. and walked to a nearby Irish pub that I used to frequent, but haven't in a long while. The pub is called Shades of Green, and it is located on East 15th Street between Irving Place and Third Avenue. There's a photo of the front of the pub in my blizzard entry here.

I shot the photo at the top of this entry by sticking my camera up in the air and pressing the button, just like the professionals do. I did have it aimed a bit better, but nothing was happening (didn't see a flash) so I started to pull my hand down to take a look a the camera. Perhaps my battery was low. Of course, at that moment the flash went off and this is the photo I got. Ironically, I think it captures Saint Patrick's Day in New York pretty well. I never realized what a green ceiling they have at the pub, but there you go. One of many Shades of Green.

Here's a more traditional angle.



The pub was crowded, but not overcrowded. It was still early. We made our way to the bar, and, in keeping with tradition, Steve and I ordered Guinness Stout. Guinness is one of my favorite beers, and once we toasted the day and had a taste I was reminded of how delicious a perfectly poured pint of draft Guinness can be. The texture of the bitter, foamy head stands alone among beers. I frequently buy Guinness in bottles, which itself is yummy, but there's no comparison to Guinness on draft, properly poured by a proper Irish bartender in a proper Irish pub, even when served in plastic cups for $6.50 apiece. I'm sure the plastic cups were just for the holiday hordes. Normally they use pint glasses. I forgive them.

We had that Guinness and then another. Steve and I talked about writing and how hard it can be to get good writing jobs, noting that the fault lies within ourselves, so you can't really blame circumstances. Steve had to dash off to meet Tiffany, so we finished our beers and I showed him to the 6-train platform and I took the L train home to Brooklyn. I shot this last photo on our way out. Happy Saint Patrick's Day, everyone!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Adam Goodchild said...

Looks way more fun than where I was at that night- Proof, just up the street on 3rd between 19th and 20th. Never go there.

12:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah I know that place. It's right next to Revival, another fine drinking establishement.

I did raise a pint to you and to young Martin Flannigan, who also unfortunatly could not be with me that evening, but both of you were in my heart nonetheless.

I was at Otto's as you may know proving that I can still rock. We should check out that cheap shots and beer place this week perhaps??

Best to you sir!

3:00 PM  
Blogger allison said...

LOOKS LIKE A GOOD ST.PATRICKS DAY,UNLIKE MINE, WE ALWAYS DO SOMETHING LIKE AT LEAST HAVE A TOAST, THAT DIDNT HAPPEN THIS YEAR. WE HAVE HAD ALOT GOING ON, MY GRANDMOTHER IS SICK AND WE JUST BOUGHT A HOUSE AFTER 2 YEARS OF LOOKIN!! SO I AT LEAST GOT TO ENJOY YOURS, THATS FOR THE PICS! THE CROSBYS

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home