New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Huge Development for Williamsburgers


New York City subways can be a funny thing. Sometimes a station will be named after a street that you can't actually get to from that station. The West Fourth Street station in Greenwich Village is an example. There are no stairs that connect the station to the street that bears its name. It should really be called the West Third Street Station.

Until recently, in our neighborhood in Brooklyn you could only access Lorimer (the street) from Lorimer (the station) on weekdays until 9:00 p.m. and on weekends and holidays not at all. Getting home in time to be able to use the "Lorimer Street stairs" was actually a motivating factor in leaving work or wherever early. It saved a five-minute walk up Metropolitan Avenue from Union Street, which is where the main entrance to the Lorimer Station is. The subway attendants (the ones who organized that wonderful strike a couple of months ago) delighted in shutting the gate in your face at 8:57 p.m. Ha ha, I'm the boss of this gate, they would think. I am an authority figure.

Well, the MTA has decided, in its wisdom, that there is no good reason to shut down the Lorimer Street entrance during evenings and weekends anymore. It is now open 24/7, and that is great news. A five-minute walk doesn't seem like a big deal, but day in and day out, round trip, it could be a real drag. So Huzzah to the MTA for coming to its senses and opening up a subway entrance that should have been opened all along.

Now, about those weekend service shutdowns. It's true. The MTA hates hipsters. It is absolutely miserable when L-train service between Brooklyn and Manhattan is suspended. The G to the A to the F. My commute looks like alphabet soup sometimes. But that's a story for another time.

1 Comments:

Blogger allison said...

VICTOR I WOULD BE AT A COMPLETE DEADEND TRYING TO GET AROUND ON A SUBWAY!LOL I GET IN MY CAR AND GO ANYWHERE! WITH GAS PRICES ON THE RISE AGAIN I DONT KNOW IF THATS GOOD OR NOT! IT MAKES MY LAZY THOUGH CAUSE I DONT GET IN THE WALKIN I SHOULD AND I WAS TOLD WITH MY DEPRESSION I SHOULD WALK AND THINK, THAT IT WOULD HELP RELAX MY MIND AND BODY AT THE SAME TIME, SO I AM OFF TO WALK AT THE GREENWAY! IT IS A PEACEFUL PLACE HERE, WITH WATER AND WILDLIFE THAT YOU CAN FEED! SO OFF FOR MY PEACE OF MIND WALK!

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home