New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Valentine 2006


Yesterday was Valentine's Day. To celebrate it, Jenn and I put together a dinner of cheese, fruit, and charcuterie. That's a picture of our spread above. We are huge fans of fine cheeses, and especially huge fans of the Bedford Cheese Shop here in Brooklyn. (Here's a link to my Gridskipper posting on it, and you can go here for a rundown of all my stuff.)

Since it's too late and I'm too tired to actually do any "writing" I've compiled a list of what we had. In the magazine world, you'd call this a listicle.

Five Year Boerenkaas cheese (It's a type of Gouda, at $15.99/lb)
Rolf Beeler Gruyere (at $28.99/lb)
Montenebro (at $21.99/lb)
One tin of Riga Smoked Sprats (excellent little Latvian fish in sunflower seed oil, $1.99 for a 5.6 Oz. can)
Red Onion and Rosemary Z crackers
Pain D'Avignon Onion Ficelle bread
Bresola Biellese (Bresola is aged, dried beef. Think prosciutto, but beef. It rules, at $32/lb)
Honey Maple Turkey Breast and Herb Turkey Breast from Applegate Farms (at $8.99/lb)
Moroccan Oil Cured Olives (at $5.99/lb)
D'Anjou Pears
Gala Apples (which we forgot to slice and put on the table)
Pama Pomegranate Liqueur (from the slush table, shaken and strained into martini glasses as an aperitif. Quite divine)
Ribas de Cabrera 2001 Spanish Red Wine (yummers)

Below is a picture of the Riga Smoked Sprats, since I took the above picture and then realized I had forgotten to put them on the table.



Let the record reflect that I really love this style of eating: small plates with lots of different things to choose from. Cheeses, meats, smoked fishies, fruits, boozes. Everything good in life. And while it's pretty dear for a "home-cooked meal" it was an absolute cornucopia of excellent food, and far superior to anything we could have gotten for that money at a restaurant on Valentine's Day, also known as amateur night.

Let the record also reflect that I did indeed give Jenn a heart-shaped box of chocolates. We had a lovely time, and we also have leftovers.

Here is a picture of our cheese selection.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice spread Vic! Im sure you guys had a great time and for the record I too love the lots of little food option. This is why I chose to take Marissa to Yoko Cho, that upstairs Japanese izakaya on 9th street. Lots of tastes, good sake, and I got her hooked on takoyaki.

Best to you both

-seth

11:11 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

I really love this style of eating too: small plates with lots of wonderful foods (and boozes and chocolates!) to choose from--and someone I love to share them with.
Everything good in life is right.
Happy Valentine's Day.

11:11 AM  
Blogger allison said...

LOVED THE VALENTINES FOOD BLOG! LOOKS GREAT! MY HUSBAND IS FROM BALTIMORE AND LOVES THESE KINDS OF CHEESE,FISH AND WINES. ME ON THE OTHER HAND, WELL I AM JUST A COUNTRY GIRL, ALL FOR BEANS AND CORN BREAD! LOL I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF SOME OF THE FOODS YOU LISTED BUT WOULD LOVE TO GIVE IT A TRY! MY HUSBAND HAS BEEN IN RESTARUANT MANAGEMENT BUSINESS FOR YEARS AND KNOWS ALL ABOUT WHAT YOU LISTED AND SAID NICE,VERY NICE! I LOVE CHEESE, I COULD BE POSTER GIRL FOR CHEESE,LOL AND HAVE HAD SOME OF THOSE KINDS OF CHEESE AT THE COUNTRY CLUB! WAS GREAT! HAPPY LATE VALENTINES TO YOU AND JENN! I HAD THE TRADITIONAL BOX OF CHOCOLATE AND MEXICAN FOOD FOR OURS!

2:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home