New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Friday, February 10, 2006

Blizzard Warning!


It's Friday morning, and I just took a walk to drop off the laundry and pick up my dry cleaning (black dress pants). There is a blizzard warning for the New York area over the next couple of days. Many New Yorkers secretly hope for a blizzard to shut the city down, because that's the only time the city is ever quiet. You will never hear silence on the streets of New York like you will during and directly after a blizzard.

So I've always liked this cluster of buildings, pictured above, on the corner of Jackson Street and Manhattan Avenue in Brooklyn. The building on the corner has to be from the Civil War era, if not earlier. One way to tell is by the little iron stars you can see on the walls (click photo to enlarge) which anchor long iron bars that bolster the floors, necessary in those days because they didn't have the advanced building materials we have today. Iron stars=Old buildings.

When I started walking I looked up and could just barely see the winter sun, low in the sky, trying to poke through the snow clouds. I vowed to take a photo after I dropped off the huge laundry bag, but by the time I did that the sun was already gone. Okay, let the snow (and the weekend) begin!

1 Comments:

Blogger allison said...

BLIZZARD WARNING HUH? THAT IS BAD BUT IT WILL GIVE YOU SOME QUIET TIME. WE ARE ALSO UNDER WINTER WARNING WE ARE TO GET 2-4 INCHES. THAT IS NOTHING COMPARED TO NEW YORK BUT IT DOES ALLOW FOR A NICE FIRE AND HOT CHOCOLATE! LOVE THAT OLD BUILDING, I DIDNT KNOW ABOUT THE STARS ON THE BUILDING AND WHAT THEY MEAN,BUT THEN AGAIN WE DONT HAVE ANYTHING LIKE THAT HERE! HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND, CANT WAIT TO SEE SNOW PICS! THE CROSBYS

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home