New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

The Know-It-All



Number seven on the charts, number one in our hearts. A while back my friend A.J. Jacobs wrote a book called The Know-It-All, which has since risen to lucky number seven on the most recent (January 8) New York Times Paperback Best Seller List. That's the citation above. As you can see, he is crushing the Chronic (what?) les of Narnia, which is languishing at number nine. The Know-It-All is a great book, and if you enjoy the pursuit of knowledge (or just want to appear intelligent) I highly recommend it. It can be purchased here. The paperback is only fourteen bucks, which is a very reasonable price for all the knowledge in the world that matters. I might also add that AJ is a darn nice guy, so it's not like your hard-earned legal tender would be going to some jerk.

Disclaimer: I had a minor role in the editing of this book, i.e. I doubled checked the facts to make sure it's a solid work. It is.



This is the cover of the book. My copy is slightly smudged because it is well-thumbed. The book is about AJ's quest to become the smartest person in the world, not only by reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica, but also through reflecting on the meaning of knowledge and intelligence and various measurements thereof.

Here's a photo of me with AJ from our holiday party. He's the one on the right, with the slightly longer beard. (The beard is part of his latest book project.) I don't know why I look so pink in the photo.



And here's the latest Paperback Best Seller List in its entirety. (You can click on any of these photos to make them big.) Maybe if you click here and purchase a copy of this very enjoyable book knowledge will prevail across the land. (By the way, it seems like the current number one "nonfiction" book could have benefitted from my fact checking services as well.)



Congratulations to AJ on his number seven spot on the best seller list. It reminds me of my favorite fortune from a fortune cookie, which I have taped to my desk at home: You are almost there.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

It is ironic - though not surprising - that the exaggerated (at the least, and possibly made-up) memoir of an ex-druggie is now higher on the best seller list than a thoroughly factual (thanks, in part, to Victor's thorough efforts) account of a sober, smart, and law-abiding man's efforts to learn all he can about the world he lives in.
One more reason to buy AJ's book now!

3:19 PM  
Blogger Rob Horning said...

Is that his real beard?

5:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home