New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, December 29, 2005

Space Shuttle Ride



Having enjoyed our helicopter ride in Virginia last Saturday (see below) we decided to take the Space Shuttle Enterprise (picture above) for a spin. It's a bit tough to keep under control, but the ride was smooth and the seats comfortable. I wish they would install Sirius satellite radio, though, because I got totally sick of the crappy FM reception in outer space.

Seriously, these are photos from the National Air and Space Museum's new Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center. Dad, Jenn, and I took a stroll through the museum after our helicopter ride, since it was on the way home. It's an excellent museum, and I highly recommend it if you're in the Dulles, Virginia area.

I'm fond of this next photo, which shows a range of adorable little satellites hanging from the ceiling. Phone home!



Here's a decent view of the majority of the museum, which is housed in a huge Quonset hut. The Air France plane in the foreground is obviously a Concorde, and the big yellow plane behind it on the right is a Boeing 707.



Here's a photo of the exterior of the museum. The control tower in front is actually an observation deck and an exhibit about how a control tower operates.



And here's a view from inside the tower.



That's all I have time to do at the moment. Now I'd like to direct your attention to my latest effort for Gridskipper. Here's a link directly to my entry on Spuyten Duyvil.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Don't forget the IMAX flick on flying (To Fly!). You'd never know it's been 30 years since it was filmed.

8:56 PM  
Blogger allison said...

HEY! ITS THE CROSBYS, WE ARE GLAD TO SEE YOU AND JENN HAD A GREAT HOLIDAY VACATION! WE DID ALSO, WE WENT TO THE BEACH FOR A WHOLE WEEK! HAD A GOOD FAMILY TIME WITH THE KIDS, JUST DIDNT HAVE MY COMPUTER TO SEE YOUR BLOGS! I WAS HAVING DT'S! LOL ANYWAY WE CAME HOME FOR OUR NEWS YEARS AND WENT TO THE COUNTRY CLUB, WHERE THEY WERE HAVING A FUNDRAISER AND FOR MY 20 DONATION FOR 2 TICKETS I WAS THE BIG WINNER OF THE NIGHT! I WON THE 3CARAT DIAMOND TENNIS BRACLET! SO WE HAD GREAT HOLIDAYS ALSO!! GOODNIGHT FOR NOW!

10:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home