New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Friday, December 23, 2005

NYC Transit Strike is Over!


The 2005 NYC Transit strike is over, and that is great news for all New Yorkers. I took the above photo at the 57th Street and Seventh Avenue subway station this morning.

As for the three-day strike, I'm not sure what the transit union accomplished, but they pounded on their chests and millions of New Yorkers were greatly inconvenienced. I think the transit workers deserve a fair contract, but in this case I don't believe the union leaders served their members very well.

I, for one, refused to let the strike cramp my style, and yesterday that meant a round trip to work and back on foot: Brooklyn to Manhattan and Manhattan to Brooklyn. I mapped out my route online when I got home and it was about a 14-mile journey. It's true that New Yorkers walk a lot in the course of their daily lives, but 14 miles is crazy.

It was easy enough getting in to the office yesterday morning, but getting home became the ultimate physical challenge. I alternately walked and ran all the way downtown to the bridge, snapping photos along the way. Here's the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree.



And here are some tourists posing with some monsters.



I practically flew downtown, but I stopped to shoot Yonah Shimmel, the finest knishery on the Lower East Side and possibly the world.



And here's world-famous Katz's Deli (yes, yes, the Harry-Met-Sally orgasm scene was filmed there).



I ran across the bridge and shot this photo of New York at night. I tried to balance the camera on the railing but the bridge itself was vibrating from all the traffic, so the image is a little wobbly.



As I descended the pedestrian ramp the end was in sight. Brooklyn!



The Red Cross was giving away coffee and hot cocoa. I asked this guy for a vodka martini, extra dry. He turned to the truck and called out "Bartender!"



And here's me drinking the best hot cocoa I've ever had.



I made it home in record time. It took me about one hour and 45 minutes to get from 57th and Broadway to Leonard Street in Brooklyn. I was so tired when I walked in the door and kissed Jenn. It felt like I had just had a long hike in the mountains. But I also felt really great mentally, like I was the king of New York. Nothing could stop me! And I had a fantastic tour of the city. I took the shower of champions, and then Jenn made me that martini that I had asked the Red Cross guy for, and it was divine.

I am really sore today, both of my feet are blistered, and it felt wonderful to take a subway to the office instead of hoofing it. Again, happy holidays to all! Thanks for reading.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Andy said...

I stumbled upon your blog recently, while internet searching for a friend with the same last name as yours.

Your blog is great. I lived in Brooklyn (Cobble Hill) up until December 2004, worked in the Bronx, and had fun all over the city. Good city shots too.

Now I am in CA, and it just isn't the same.

The transit strike, as well as the Blackout, and of course 9/11, are all evidence of just how great New Yorkers are at dealing with and adapting to adversity.

I miss NYC!

12:41 PM  
Blogger allison said...

HEY IT IS THE COUNTRY CROSBYS, YOU KNOW WE HAD TO READ OUR NIGHTLY BLOG FROM YOU! LOVE THE NIGHT SHOT OF THE CITY AND LOVED SEEING THE TREE AT ROCKAFELLER IT WAS GREAT! I AM SO GLAD THE STRIKE IS OVER FOR YOU AND JEN NOW YOU CAN GET BACK TO NORMAL! MASON MY 3 YEAR OLD LOVED THE SHOT OF POOH AND ELMO!! HE WAS ON MY LAP FOR THE PICS AND YELLED OUT,"LOOK MAMA"! YOU MADE HIS NIGHT! ALSO I DID NOT KNOW WHEN HARRY MET SALLY WAS FILMED THERE,COOL MOVIE FACT! HOPE THE TWO OF YOU HAVE A WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS, OURS WILL BE FULL WITH SANTA AND LOTS OF FAMILY! HOPE YA'LL HAVE A SAFE FLIGHT. BY THE WAY WE KNOW ALL ABOUT HIKING IN THE MOUNTAINS IT CAN BE VERY INTERESTING BUT EXHAUSTING AS HELL. AT THE END OF OUR HIKES MY HUSBAND TROY SEES TO IT THAT I HAVE MY VODKA AND ORANGE JUICE! YOU KNOW THE JUICE HELPS BUILD MY SYSTEM AND THE VODKA JUST GIVES ME THAT EXTRA LITTLE BOOST OF ENERGY I PROBABLY DONT NEED! LOL

2:52 AM  
Anonymous Miki said...

I don't live in the NY area, but knowing how most people depend on public transportation to function in daily life, I could only shake my head and how really selfish the entire ordeal was. This wasn't just the case of a couple people being inconvenienced but an entire city, and for what really? Everyone has the right to get paid for a job well done, but you should only expect to get paid the amount you deserve for the type of work you do. If you're not creating nuclear weapons, don't expect to get paid like you are.

A friend of mine had to drive from eastern PA in to NY to pick up her boyfriend from the airport. A drive that should have taken only an hour and a half lasted far longer: they left at a little before noon and arrived back home close to midnight. Of course, this was the first time her boyfriend has left Japan and he also speaks no English. That was not fun in the slightest.

You should mention to your friend to push the "caps lock" button to turn it off.

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Angie Wanke said...

Labdien Victor,
do you remember me ? Angie, the Peace Corps volunteer from Riga ? I recall some very good times hanging out together in Riga in 1993, some with your roommate, Scott. We were there for the Shaving of the Facial Hair, on my birthday at like 1 am, when it was still sunny out!
Anyway, found your blog while searching for "Ozols"...it is good to hear that you're doing swell, still travelling and lovingly recording your travails. I hope things have gone well for you over the years.
If you feel like it, I'm at: wankeab AT earthlink.net

Uz rezesanos!
p.s. I've visited Brooklyn, and I LOVED it. How cool that you are there.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home