New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, December 22, 2005

NYC Transit Strike, Day 3



The strike is still on as of this writing, but I hear that it's being resolved soon, and that is wonderful news. I walked all the way to work from Brooklyn this morning. It took me two hours but it was an enjoyable experience because the sun was shining and the sky was blue. Of course I brought my camera. The photo above is a scary beast in front of a Bowery restaurant supply store. Below is the pedestrian/bike path on the Williamsburg Bridge.



Again I haven't got the time to write much of an entry, but here are a few photos. The penthouse on the top of the building in the following photo supposedly belongs to 50 Cent. Of course he wants to live in my neighborhood.



Here's some graffiti in Williamsburg.



This is what you say when you have to leave Brooklyn.



And here's a view from the bridge.



So I made it into Manhattan and walked uptown through the Lower East Side. The following photo is of another restaurant supply store on the Bowery. Click on any of these photos to make them big.



As I walked uptown I couldn't help but notice that the subways were still shuttered.



I walked up Park Avenue South and then over to Fifth Avenue, which I took all the way up to 57th Street. Here's a photo of the Empire State Building.



And here's Rockefeller Center. Those in the know called the tall building in the center "30 Rock." Now you can too! Many NBC studios are located there, such as the one for Saturday Night Live.



As I neared my destination, I photographed this guy, because we both had our ordeals today.



I'd like to post more, but I have things to do. If all goes well, subway service will be restored by tomorrow (Friday) morning, and it's not a moment too soon. Jenn and I will fly down to D.C. tomorrow night to visit my parents in Virginia, and we'll be back on Monday. Merry Christmas, everyone!

3 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

The strike is over. Hooray! Though I will miss your walking photo tutorials through Brooklyn and Manhattan. (I especially love the first pic of the scary statue).

6:01 PM  
Blogger allison said...

I HAD TO SEE NEW YORK THOUGH YOUR EYES TODAY! I LOVED IT! I WOULD BE LOST HERE IN THE BACK WOODS OF NORHT CAROLINA WITHOUT YOUR PICS!! THAT WALK MUST HAVE BEEN HARD THOUGH, SO I AM GLAD YOUR WALK IS COMING TO AND END!! BUT DONT STOP KEEPING ME IN NEW PICS OF THE BIG APPLE! MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU AND JEN FROM THE CROSBYS!

1:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

to be perfectly healthy. However, this is a downright lie, and any HIV test can show it. He’s been ill for years.
This man is a psychopath, hence very dangerous. Someone who is mentally perturbed and evil enough to do what John Kuhn is doing, spreading an illness as terrible as this, is also capable of doing many other horrible things, like trying to infect people in other ways than through sexual intercourse, so
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT THIS INFORMATION BE SPREAD.
This is very serious. He has already been reported to the Federal Police in Argentina (comisaría no. 17 - sumario no. 812), to the American Embassy in Argentina ("Buenos Aires, ACS" BuenosAires-ACS@state.gov), and to the New York Police Department. He has not been sent to prison because Argentinian laws regarding HIV/AIDS are very deficient, but in many American states (not in NY unfortunately) and several European countries he would already be jail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criminal_Transmission_of_HIV
But the truth is that this man is free, deliberately infecting people with HIV, and the only way we have to protect ourselves from him is spreading this information, and to avoid him completely.

3:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home