New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, December 21, 2005

NYC Transit Strike 2005


It's very late and I can't spend as much time as I'd like narrating my 2005 NYC Transit Strike Adventure so I'll just post a few pictures and give a brief synopsis, with more forthcoming.

Here's what the world needs to know about the (ongoing as I type this) strike on the subway and bus lines in New York City, which began at 3:00 a.m. Tuesday. It's a huge hassle not having the subway at my disposal, and in order to accomplish everything I needed and wanted to do today I had to exert Herculean effort, but I wasn't defeated and ultimately everything worked out fine. If the strike stretches on through tomorrow, the next day, and so on, however, my patience will likely wane.

Here's how my day went. We woke up to find the strike was on, so Jenn made some calls to inquire about rides with colleagues and such, but decided it was fruitless and worked from home, where she was very productive. I was looking forward to the "adventure" of walking across the bridge from Brooklyn into Manhattan, so I dressed warmly (it is bitter cold outside), grabbed my camera, kissed Jenn goodbye, and hiked out to the Williamsburg Bridge, completely prepared to walk across.

As I approached the bridge, however, I saw a line of cars pulled over by the curb. Drivers were asking the pedestrians if they wanted rides across the bridge. The NYPD wasn't allowing any vehicle onto the bridge that had fewer than four people in it, so a ride across the bridge into Manhattan was easy to come by. All the walkers were just hopping into waiting cars and zipping across the bridge.

I hopped into a clean SUV driven by Eddy Duran, CEO of Duran Films Inc. Two other people hopped in as well, and we had a foursome, ready to cross the bridge. Once we got going the traffic was amazingly light. We made great time getting into Manhattan.

Eddy said he worked at an ad agency and also made films. He is a very good man for giving me a ride as far as 14th Street and Sixth Avenue. The other two passengers in the vehicle, a guy and girl (both in their 20's, strangers to us and to each other) got out near SoHo. All four of us in the vehicle either worked in advertising or publishing.

So this is a picture of Eddy, the guy who gave me a ride into Manhattan from Brooklyn on the first day of the 2005 NYC Transit Strike. Check out his work.



After I thanked Eddy and got out of the vehicle I took a photo of the shuttered subway station at 14th and Sixth (top) as well as a close up of the strike notice. Then I started walking uptown to my office.



I walked the rest of the way to 57th Street, and I deliberately walked through Times Square to take some photos, which I will post later. When I finally got to the office, I settled in with a bagel and a second coffee.

Work was cool, and kind of mellow compared to the hectic couple of weeks we've had. I did what I had to do and also booked a hotel for our Bahamas trip in January. (Ahem, Bahamas trip.)

At the end of the day I had to get downtown to the Blind Tiger Ale House (links here and here) to wish farewell to Webster and MaryAlice as they move to the Boston area. We were also wishing farewell to the bar, which is closing after nearly a decade. And we were determined not to let the transit strike force us to cancel our plans because we had no time to reschedule.

I had no other way of getting downtown other than my two feet. I alternately walked and ran from 57th Street to 10th Street in Greenwich Village in 40 minutes, with heavy pedestrian traffic. The weather was very cold but I was sweating under my heavy jacket.

I was able to relax when we got to the Blind Tiger where we all had a very nice time. I shot this photo of Webster shortly after he came in from the cold.



When it was time to go home and I was steeling myself for an extremely cold walk across the bridge back to Brooklyn, my friends Mike and Penelope offered me a (sober) ride home to Brooklyn in their car. Excellent. Here I am, and friends, I'm sorry if this is a sloppy entry but I've got to go to sleep now. I'm not sure how tomorrow is going to go, transit-wise. I hope labor and management can reach an agreement soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger allison said...

SORRY TO HEAR ABOUT TRANSIT ORDEAL.IT MUST BE HARD FOR U AND JEN TO GET TO WORK. I CANT IMAGINE HAVING TO GET RIDES AND WALK THAT DAMN MUCH! YEAH ITS GOOD EXERCISE BUT IT IS PAIN IN THE ASS TO BE OUT OF YOUR NORMAL LIVING HABITS DUE TO A STRIKE. IT HAS MADE IT HARD ON NEW YORKERS! I WATCH THE EARLY SHOW EVERY MORNING TO KEEP UP WITH THINGS. SO I HOPE ALL IS WELL SHORTLY FOR YA'LL!!IT WAS COOL TO SEE WHO YOU GOT A RIDE WITH! IT IS FUNNY HOW LIFES UPS AND DOWNS BRINGS NEW PEOPLE INTO YOUR LIFE, AND WE NEVER KNOW FOR WHAT REASON IT HAPPENS THAT WAY IT JUST DOES! PLUS IN THE FAST PACE WORLD YOU LIVE IN YOU MY NEVER HAVE MET A GUY LIKE THAT,THEN LIFE THROWS A CURVE AND SLOWS YOU TO A PACE THAT YOU LOOK AROUND AND NEW THINGS COME! CANT WAIT TO READ NEXT POST! ALLISON

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home