New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Brooklyn Views



I took these photos on Sunday afternoon. The scene above features an Orthodox Church in Brooklyn that might be familiar to Seinfeld fans: its exterior was featured in the "kavorka" episode. The onion domes used to be green (the color of oxidized copper) but they have since been cleaned. I think they'll return to green over time.

I didn't leave the borough of Brooklyn on Sunday, which is unusual, but I didn't have any business to attend to in Manhattan, and, furthermore, my 30-day unlimited-ride MetroCard expired the previous day (midnight on Saturday), so I figured I'd wait a day before starting the clock on my new one. I'm cheap like that.

Transit was a bit sticky over the weekend anyway. Our beloved L train was not running between Brooklyn and Manhattan at all, due to construction in the tunnel. This made things difficult for anybody who lives along the L line to get around. Jenn and I were forced to take the G train down to Hoyt-Schermerhorn to transfer to the A train to Manhattan, and to reverse the process to get home.

On my way home from kumite class on Saturday afternoon my G train stopped suddenly just as it began to leave the station at either Myrtle-Willoughby or Flushing Avenue (I can't remember which). The driver said there was a stalled train in the tunnel ahead of us. Since our train had actually started to enter the tunnel we had to evacuate the train, rather than just having the conductor open all the doors. As I was in the first car I was fortunate. The driver (an affable, heavy-set Asian man) opened the one door that was still on the platform with a special key he had, and I got the heck out of there.

People were confused and didn't know where to go. I started walking in the direction of home almost immediately. I was on Marcy and Union, somewhere near where a young Jay-Z wrote his first raps. The walk home took about a half hour.

Jenn's subway had also been screwy, and she wound up walking back from Nassau Avenue in Greenpoint, but mine was the screwier of the two. Anyway, after that ordeal I was okay with taking a day off the subway on Sunday.

Here's a photo of the new track and field at McCarren Park.



Enjoy your rainy Tuesday, New York (and world). I've got to get ready for work now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Ted Madsen said...

Cool! So they officially opened up what was fenced in the last time I was there. Vic thanks for the congrats on my upcoming wedding. Admittedly I was stoked to see that you were going to come out but knew you were joking because I remembered you both had made other plans... plus hard to come out with a weeks notice eh?
Ted

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home