New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, October 27, 2005

The Explorers Club



Last night Jenn and I went to a very interesting event at the Explorers Club on East 70th Street. We were there to eat weird foods paired with wines, and listen to a lecture by a guy who has summited Everest seven times. I posted a brief overview of the event on Gridskipper, so click over and take a look. You might have to scroll down a bit, or else search for my name, as it is a blog, and entries move down as new entries are posted. But please do!

The photo above is of a weird food platter, and I ate most of it. The photo below is of me considering eating a tarantula, and then thinking better of it.



Here's a close-up of a North American Cricket, served with pepper jelly and cream cheese. It tasted kind of nutty.



And here's a close-up of the scorpion, served on endive with herb cheese. It was supposed to be paired with a Sauvignon Blanc, but I washed it down with Redwood Creek Pinot Noir, which did the trick. The scorpion was kind of hard to get down, because the exoskeleton was so chewy and bitter-tasting. The scorpion I ate was served slightly differently, on a toothpick with a small piece of miniature corn.



The lecture was excellent. Peter Athans, a.k.a. "Mr. Everest", narrated a very interesting slideshow about Everest and the people who live there. It was quite inspiring. And I've always wanted to visit the Explorer's Club, so it was nice to have the opportunity. Perhaps I'll be a member some day.

Here's a photo of a polar bear. I did not eat any polar bear.



And finally, here's a shot of one of the lounge areas. It looks like a comfy place to read the paper.



For more information on The Explorers Club and its work, click here.

Before I end this, since it's on my mind, I want to say that a good man passed away today. Tom Masland, a senior editor at Newsweek and colleague of Jenn's, died at the age of 55. Our thoughts are with his family and friends. You can read his obituary here. Tom did more than his part to have a positive impact on the world. We are lucky for the all-too-brief time he was with us.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ted Madsen said...

Mmmm bugs for dinner. I read an artical about an executive at the explorer's club using an oxygen depravation chamber around his desk to prepare him for an 18,000 foot climb and asking the Russian manufacturer to donate one to the explorers club... it was in the New Yorker I believe.

3:14 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

That's the president of the Explorer's Club, Richard Wiese, who hosted the event. Here's a link to the piece: http://www.newyorker.com/talk/content/articles/051024ta_talk_paumgarten

And thanks for the note about Tom. He was a good reporter, a good writer, and a very good man.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Victor. This is Tara, from BA Metropolis. It was great to meet you and Jenn the other night and I appreciate the gridskipper article. Can you please email me a real email address for you? I can't seem to find the paper you wrote your contact info on. Thanks! tnurin@bametropolis.com

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home