New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, October 06, 2005

Escape



The picture above is of sunset in Santorini, Greece. Click to escape. I took it on our honeymoon in July 2004. I'd like to grab Jenn and go back there right now. New York is great, I love it, but we haven't had a decent vacation for a while, and I'm starting to get a little buggy.

A few minutes before I left work this evening news broke of a new, specific terrorist threat on the New York subways. Supposedly there's a plan to bomb the subways in a manner similar to the recent London attacks. The mayor held a news conference but said there was nothing any of us could do. Go about your business, he said.

Okay.

So I left the office at about 6:30 p.m. and took the subway from 57th Street to head to the dojo, like usual. I expected an NYPD bag search but there was no bag searching table at all. There was, however, an extra police presence on the street, with emergency vehicles flying around, sirens blaring.

Karate was excellent, and I feel much better for taking it. My urban anxiety was assuaged.

Now I'm home but I'm really tired. Normally I only post very recent photos,but tonight I'm posting photos that are over a year old because a) I haven't taken any new photos; and b) the above view was in my thoughts today anyway, so it has a certain timeliness.

These are the Lions of Delos, and here's a link that explains them better than I ever could.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Efharisto, baby. Let's go!

12:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home