New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, September 15, 2005

Knackered



Here's a mosaic from the Lorimer Street subway station in Brooklyn. I shot this on my way home from karate tonight. It was around 8:30 p.m.

My body and brain are really tired right now. Today was a busy day at work, and karate class was kind of tough, and on top of it, I was a bit knackered from last night at the Blind Tiger (scroll down). Basically I haven't had my "straight eight" in a week. Not that I'm complaining, I've had a good time, but still, I'm bushed.

Since tomorrow is Friday, we'll have to read the service notices very closely to find out if the L train is screwed up for construction. On the one hand, we are lucky that our train line has all new cars and an advanced signal system when most other NYC subway lines do not. But the roll-out of these fancy innovations requires a bunch of construction, which means delays out the wazoo. And New Yorkers hate being delayed.

Also, the L train is so advanced that they started running them with only one conductor on the weekends. Or, more specifically, they are running with only the driver, who also serves as a conductor (opening and closing the doors). Normally there's a driver in the front of the train and a conductor who has a compartment in the middle.

However, subway-rider activist groups succesfully lobbied to have the conductor restored. They feel that the subway train is safer with two professional subway employees on board rather than one. We'll see what happens.

Speaking of subway notices, this next picture shows you what it takes to figure out how you're going to get from point A to point B during periods of construction. A gold star for anyone who can tell me how long it will take me to get to the bagel shop on Saturday morning.



I wanted to take a picture of the other mosaic, and while I was lining up the shot this dude bounded up the stairs. So I shot him.



Tomorrow is Friday and for that I am glad. Once again we have an active weekend planned, or semi-planned. Tomorrow will again be busy at work, but if I can get out at a reasonable hour, Jenn and I walk down our street to see Agora at the (empty) McCarren Park Pool.

Saturday night is Seth's birthday party at the Raven. On Sunday, Jenn and I might go to Water Taxi Beach again. We'll have to see how it goes, because we also want to do a whole bunch of work for ourselves (writing and career development stuff) as well as cleaning the house and saving America and stuff.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home