New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Beef with Mixed Vegetables


I got out of work with just barely enough time to make it to a 7:15 p.m. karate class. I literally ran down 23rd Street to get to the dojo, but I'm happy to report that I got there on time (without a moment to spare). It was a kata class, and it was great, and I left the dojo in a better mood than when I arrived.

The weather has been beautiful the past couple of days. Warm days, dry, cool nights.

I took the subway home to Brooklyn and stopped by Family Garden on the way to pick up some food. I had my camera with me, and was wondering what I could take photos of that I hadn't taken photos of already.

I decided to photograph my dinner, because I'll bet a lot of other New Yorkers were eating the same thing, or something similar. I would say it represents the cheap NYC Chinese takeout dinner pretty well. What's your cheap takeout?

I usually order beef with vegetables and ask them to cook it without any sauce at all, just steamed in the big wok. It comes with rice and costs $4.50. I add soy sauce at home.

I felt like I needed some vegetables for my physical well-being, but I also wanted meat because I was hungry. I didn't want anything oily or especially fatty, so I think it's a good compromise. And it pairs perfectly with Pabst Blue Ribbon. Not a bad feast for five bucks. Dinner with wine.

Tomorrow is Friday and I'm glad. Here's to Friday, everybody!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home