New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Panda Face Cookies



One of the reasons Jenn is a fan of Hana Foods, the upscale bodega on Metropolitan Avenue, is that they sell Japanese Panda Face Cookies.

For $1.75 you get a box of a dozen or so cookies in the shape of panda faces. One side is a delicious chocolate, and the other side is a creamy wafer. I'm eating one now. I hereby declare the Panda Face Cookie to be the finest Japanese mini-cookie snack in New York City.

I know Panda Face cookies are popular in our area of Brooklyn because Hana Foods sells out of them frequently. Jenn buys two or three or sometimes four boxes at a time when they're in stock. They're delicious and very interesting.

Here's what the bag inside the box looks like.



And here's what an actual Panda Face Cookie looks like, front and back, with a quarter for scale. The drawing was done by Marty Flanagan, musician, artist, Renaissance Man.



The proper name for the cookies (from the English sticker label) is Chocolate Snack (Sakusaku Panda) "Kabaya."

Since there's no translation for the cartoon printed on the inside of the box, could somebody who speaks Japanese please translate it for me? I'm not sure what happens to the pandas after they get sick.



This cartoon is from the box we finished last night. Again, if anybody speaks Japanese, please tell me what the hell is going on with these pandas. I think one of them has trouble waking up in the morning. Now that's a panda I can relate to.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Miki said...

I hadn't realized there were cartoons inside my panda cookies!Might I point out that the sakusaku panda cookies I found in Japan came in larger bags without a box. Not sure why the American version come with cartoons...or maybe it was just in my region of Japan that they only came in bags. Hrm. At any rate! Translations!

First cartoon:
For people, spring is pollen allergy season.
For pandas...
Summer is... (Panda: *It's hot!* *It's really hot, hrm?*)
Chocolate panda allergy season.
(The best I could translate it to. In other words...they melt!)

Second cartoon:
Waking up in the morning is really hard for me, even when I use an alarm clock...
Even if my mother tries to wake me up... (Mommy panda: *Wake up!*)
But if there's a stove close by...
I wake up really quickly! (Panda: *Because I'm made of chocolate!*)

Wow, and this response isn't even that late. That's what I get for searching randomly for panda cookie images. If you get anymore, feel free to post! I'd be more than happy to give you a translation.

12:53 AM  
Anonymous Carla said...

I'd love to try these panda cookies! They sound yummy and fun... any treats that come with crazy cartoons open to interpretation are awsome, as are cute and chocolaty things. If they melt in the hot though, I'm sure I won't find them in Tucson. sigh.

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

These are so good, they have them at Nijiya Market in San Mateo, CA. The best part about them is that they're vegan!

9:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

but they're still animals. lolz

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home