New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Latvian Invasion


Two prominent stories published in The New York Times over the past week have featured Latvian Americans as main characters.

The first, a story from August 14 about how Philadelphia is becoming New York's sixth borough, starts with an anecdote about a young man named Laris Kreslins who moved from Williamsburg, Brooklyn (my neighborhood) to Philadelphia in order to save money and let his artistic soul breathe free. I don't need to investigate. If that's not a Latvian name, I'll eat my hat. In the Latvian language, Kreslins would be pronounced KRESS-lynch.

The second story, entitled Taking Personal Training To Extremes, was published today. Its protagonist is named Juris Kupris. Juris (pronounced YOO-riss), is a very successful young personal trainer whose well-heeled clients like to have him around wherever they go, from winter homes in Florida to summer mansions in the Hamptons.

In case you don't think two Latvian-American rising stars constitute a real "trend," then keep your eyes peeled for the November Esquire, where I am told my last submission will finally be published.

I think you hear us knocking, and I think we're coming in.

UPDATE: Jenn reminded me that another Latvian American was mentioned in the media recently. Restaurateur Sarma Melngailis was named one of New York's most beautiful people in New York magazine a week ago. I am friends with her sister Ilze, although we haven't been in touch in a while. In any case, I wish all the best to the Latvian American kids doing good things.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Don't forget Sarma Melngailis, New York's most beautiful female feuding foodie (as featured in the Aug. 15 issue of NY mag).
I see a NY Times Styles trend piece coming... and, of course, a FABULOUS, can't miss story in the November Esquire.

3:21 PM  
Anonymous FREE Cell Phones said...

Boy, that post was a few years ago! I just found this in a google search..(I refuse to say "stumbled upon" ) Some of us Letts are incognito with non-Latvian last names and "interesting" first names! But we're out there...really out there! Even if the bloodline is getting thinner...

6:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home