New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Times Square

I left work at about 6:10 p.m. I had some time to kill before my 7:15 p.m. karate class so I took the subway two stops from 57th Street to 42nd Street Times Square. I went to Times Square to take a few pictures for this blog.

I took this one shortly after I got out of the subway. It's facing north in the center of Times Square.



This photo probably doesn't need much of an explanation. Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you baggy-suited Spiderman pulling a suitcase and dangling a Polaroid camera.



This one is also taken facing uptown. The top neon sign in the center used to be the iconic Suntory whisky sign. It was my favorite Times Square neon sign.



Times Square is a mixture of New Yorkers and tourists on weekdays. On weekends I would say it's mostly tourists. Personally, I avoid midtown if I can. I generally only go there to work. When Jenn and I go out it's typically in downtown Manhattan (below 14th Street) or in our home borough of Brooklyn. Anyway, here's a random pedestrian shot. Of course I took it because of the large man in the yellow shirt.



I also like this picture because of the bearded guy on the left.



I walked from Times Square to Bryant Park and took this shot on the way.



Brant Park is quite nice. They show outdoor movies there in the summertime. Years ago I saw Casablanca there. When the Nazi officers are asking Rick if he could imagine German troops invading New York, and Rick replies "there are certain neighbhorhoods in New York I wouldn't recommend you invade" the audience went wild, hooting and hollaring. Anyway, here's Bryant Park, with the back of the New York Public Library in the background.



Here's a close-up of the top of the Chrysler Building, possibly the most beautiful building in New York, although I might choose the Woolworth Building downtown, in which I worked, for a short time.



I then took the subway down to 23rd Street to go to the dojo for a 7:15 p.m. Senior Kata class. On my way into the dojo I took these pictures. I feel bad for poor Mister Softee.



The people in this photo look more like New Yorkers than in the Times Square photos.



Karate was excellent as always, a good workout for body and mind. On the way out of the dojo, recalling the previous evening, I took out my camera to make a comparison shot of the sunset. Here it is.



The I took the L train home to Brooklyn. This is the L train pulling into Sixth Avenue.



When I got back to Brooklyn, I went to Family Garden for some beef and broccoli.



This is my artistic photo of stoplights, headlights, and brake lights. I shot it while I was waiting for my food.



And here is more of the same but with downtown Manhattan in the distance. If this were pre-911 you would have been able to see the World Trade Center in this photo. Sigh.



This is the last picture. After I took this I picked up my food and came home.



Now I'm home and waiting for Jenn to get home from a James Beard food event. I hope she brought me some leftovers!

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Sorry I couldn't bring home any leftovers. The "Idaho Dinner" dinner was amazing. Really. And all the ingredients (and even the wine and potato vodka) were flown in from Idaho. For anyone travling to Boise (through?) I'd highly recommend Mortimer's. http://www.jamesbeard.org/events/2005/07/017.shtml

12:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home