New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Saturday, July 09, 2005

Sunny Saturday

It's 6:24 p.m. on Saturday and the sun is still shining brightly in the sky. I'm on my own this weekend, and I've been pretty busy up to this moment.

Let me back up a bit to Thursday night. I forgot to mention in my last blog that on Thursday night I met Noah and friends at McManus bar in Chelsea. It was a get-together ahead of his trip to Iraq to write a story about an elite U.S. military unit. We wish him a safe trip and look forward to the story he writes, as well as the stories he will tell us, over beers, possibly at McManus bar. It's a fine old New York bar with a rich history. Tammany politicians making back-room deals, that sort of thing.

Last night (Friday night) I got out of work at just a few minutes after 6:00 and went home to Brooklyn to drop off my bag and take a quick shower. Then I went back out to meet Seth at The Brooklyn Brewery. It was raining steadily but in a very light mist rather than raindrops. The temperature was pretty pleasant. The high on Friday was 18C (66F). I was running a bit late to meet Seth so I jogged from my house to the brewery, through the misty rain. I was wearing a windbreaker so I wasn't getting soaked, but my face and hair got pretty wet. It was comfortable, though, not bad at all.

So I met Seth at the brewery at about 7:20 p.m. He had only been waiting a few minutes. We got beers (I got a Brewmaster's Reserve) and Seth caught me up on his life.

It was karaoke night at the brewery, which wasn't actually as bad as it sounds, because the dj was mostly just dj-ing, not karaoke-ing. That said, one of the bartenders/brewers noticed Seth's Black Flag tee-shirt and insisted that he sing a Black Flag song, even bribing him with four beer tokens.

Sadly, the dj didn't have any Flag, but Seth agreed to sing Black Sabbath for two tokens. He belted out an excellent rendition of War Pigs, apropos to our times and well-delivered. Seth gets plenty of singing practice with his excellent punk band, The Blackout Shoppers.

We had another round of beers (a total of two beers apiece, very adult) and then I walked Seth to the subway and walked home myself. I was pretty beat so after eating some of the leftover fish and vegetables Blanche had given me I went to bed.

At about 11:30 p.m. Jenn called from Charlotte, North Carolina, where she is researching a story. We talked briefly and then I went back to sleep.

Today is Saturday, and the weather has been fantastic except for one brief rainstorm which I mostly missed. My parents and my aunt Lydia dropped by the apartment at around noon. They had been in Niagara Falls and stopped in New York City on the drive back.

We hung around the house for a few minutes and then took a walk. There's a street fair being set up in my neighborhood (Williamsburg, Brooklyn) for the Feast of Saint Anthony and Mount Carmel, which famously features the Dancing of the Giglio. Here is another good link.

If you're really curious about the Giglio (or boat) you can buy this DVD or you can come to Williamsburg, Brooklyn tomorrow (Sunday) to check it out, or else any time before Monday July 18. The weather for the opening ceremony tomorrow is supposed to be spectacular. The Giglio and boat dance tomorrow, once during the week and again next Sunday to close out the event.

It's a lot of fun. The Giglio is really cool and I like all those dangerous carnival rides. Jenn's not so into them, and she may be the wiser of us for it.

So my parents and my aunt (who is visiting from Latvia) walked through the fair area, but not much was going on, they were still setting everything up. So we went and had a very nice brunch at DuMont, an excellent neighborhood restaurant. I had French toast, both my parents had smoked salmon with a bagel, and my aunt had a beet salad with mixed greens. We each had iced tea, and it was all good. Dad paid. Thanks Dad!

My parents and aunt left at around 2:30 p.m. to sight-see a little bit in Manhattan and then drive home to Virginia. I got my stuff together and went to kumite class, which was exciting as always. I had a couple of really good fights, very in-the-moment stuff. I punched and got punched, kicked and got kicked.

At the end of the class we took off our gloves and did some conditioning work using a big thick kicking pad. I completely used up the last of my energy throwing multiple knee kicks into my friend David's pad-protected chest. Later he asked me if my boss made me really mad at work this week.

It was a great class. I showered and got dressed and came home. On the way home I stopped by Beverage World and bought a case of seltzer and a case of Pabst Blue Ribbon. I was only going to get one twelve pack but the guy suggested I grab another, because cases were on sale for $8.99, while a single twelve-pack would have been $5.99. I like that guy.

And now I've been blogging for a while and the sun has gone a bit lower in the sky. It's an absolutely beautiful summer night in New York. All the windows are open and I can hear various voices from a picnic here and barbecue there. Also I think Blanche is cooking out on the grill in the garden, and I wouldn't mind stumbling into conversation with her while she's grilling a nice burger or something. Hey Blanche. How's it going? Grilling burgers, huh?

Man, I wish my bike was fixed. I need to get a flat tire fixed. Tonight would be a great night for a ride around the neighborhood.

That's probably the extent of my evening, mooching food and drinking a case of PBR. I'm kidding about drinking the whole case, but I just can't pass up a bargain. And it was a hell of a physical challenge carrying all that stuff five blocks home.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Sounds like I missed a wonderful weekend (or most of it) in New York. But I'm glad I made it home in time to catch the dancing of the Giglio.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home