New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Friday, July 08, 2005

Raining in New York

It has been raining since late last night, but the temperature is cool and comfortable in New York. I can deal with this, even without an umbrella.

The death toll in the London bombings has risen to 50 people. Very sad. I was on the subway under the East River this morning when I noticed the particularly gruesome photo on the front page of The New York Times.

It seems like a very basic realization, but I was taken aback when it occured to me that the bombings occurred on subway trains almost exactly like the one I was in at that moment. I looked around at my fellow passengers. Nobody looked particularly suspicious, but if somebody left a bomb in a bag unattended, or worse yet, detonated a bomb on their body, what could we do to save ourselves? Not much.

I wasn't particuarly freaked out, but it did make me think about one of the very few downsides of public transportation. That's one advantage to riding in automobiles, I guess. But then, there are so many commuters and so many subway cars running at once that the odds of being in the wrong place at the wrong time are pretty slim. Not slim enough, but slim.

Jenn's going out of town this weekend to work on a story, so I will spend my time working on my own stories. So many tales to tell, so little time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home