New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Friday, July 15, 2005

Muggy

It's muggy in New York today, like pea soup in the air. But the office is air conditioned, very much so. It feels wonderful when you first walk in. Over time, however, the cold begins to penetrate your bones. By noon, my hands become somewhat numb, and my typing speed diminshes.

I was in a bit of a hurry to get to work early this morning. As I headed to the subway a twenty-something woman in front of me swiped her Metrocard at the turnstile and said "Oh shit," which is what you say when the digital screen tells you "Insufficent Fare."

Lo and behold, when I swiped my card the card reader told me the same thing. Doh! So I rushed over to the Metrocard vending machines and purchased a new 30-day unlimited ride Metrocard for $76, which is a pretty good deal for a month's worth of transportation costs. I don't own a car, which means I don't pay for gas, insurance, or car repairs. I'm also too cheap to take taxis very often. So my transportation costs are $76 a month, and I tend to ride the subway at least twice a day, every day, and usually more often on weekends.

It's a very busy time for me, and I can not blog much until after work today, but just wanted to let the world know that New York City is doing alright, collapsed buildings on upper Broadway notwithstanding.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home