New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Indigo Sunset



Indigo Sunset, 23rd and Sixth, NYC, Wednesday, July 27, 2005

I wasn't going to post a picture today. I wasn't even going to take any pictures today, but this sunset caught my eye as I was leaving the dojo at about 8:30 p.m.

I was planning to head straight to the subway. It was a great black belt class but I was tired and very much focused on getting home to Brooklyn as soon as possible. Once I walked out the door to 23rd Street, however, this beautiful indigo-colored sunset caught my eye.

I stopped in a semi-quiet place on the corner (there's a ton of pedestrian traffic in that area day and night) and fished my camera out of my bag. I turned it on and snapped four practice shots looking east on 23rd Street.

I then waited for the walk light to cross 23rd and walked half-way across the street, where I stood and quickly snapped eight photos looking west into the sunset.

Then I took the subway back to Brooklyn, grabbed a slice at Sal's (I do love that Sal's Pizza), came home and gave Jenn a kiss.

After a quick, cold shower (it was still sweltering hot outside) I uploaded the photos onto the computer. Jenn and I agreed this was the best one.

New York City will often surprise you with spectacular sunsets. You always see them when you look west on the numbered streets, while the avenues are shaded.

Usually they're either cotton candy pink or Creamsicle orange. Tonight's purple (or indigo or violet; what do you think?) sunset was unusual. And beautiful. Stop-in-your-tracks beautiful. The picture probably doesn't do it justice. It was much bigger than that.

2 Comments:

Blogger PINKSandROSES said...

that is a beautiful sunset! i was just going to pass through but that totally caught my eye. beautiful!

11:36 PM  
Blogger Bitty said...

It is stunning, and you have quite an eye.

I know what you mean about photos not always doing the subject justice, but that one's quite remarkable.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home