New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, July 13, 2005

A Day in the Life of a Geezer

It's 9:43 p.m. on Wednesday and I'm at home, sitting at my desk, which is really a table. It's a summer night in Brooklyn, not too hot. The windows are open, fan's on low.

It's July 13 and the carnival is going on down the street. Jenn's out taking a tabla lesson with her friend Cindy. By now they're in the "getting a drink" portion of their tabla lesson. They're in the East Village.

The title of this entry is a line from Original Pirate Material, the first album by Mike Skinner (a.k.a. The Streets). I put the CD in the player a few minutes ago and was thinking about how I like the way some rappers write about everyday life. This blog is like that. A more or less running commentary on what I do every day. A day in the life. I don't try too hard for insight, it's found in the quotidien.

Last night after work I met up with Seth and Marty for a quick drink at McGee's on 55th between Broadway and Eighth. We got caught up on the latest news, exchanged CDs, bent an elbow at a proper Irish bar with proper Irish bartenders, and I was home by 9:00 p.m. Well done.

This morning Jenn woke me up at 7:55 a.m. We made the bed together, and then she split for the gym and then work. I pulled on some shorts, a tee shirt, and flip flops and took a very bed-headed walk to the cleaners to pick up the laundry, along the way dropping the beer cans and seltzer bottles in the bin on the corner (the homeless take them for the deposit, no waste). I enjoy getting outside first thing in the morning, being reminded how big the world is, seeing the sky, the airplanes on approach to La Guardia. We've got a nice flat, but still, the walls close in fast.

I got the laundry, schlepped it home, showered, got dressed and went to work at 10:00. I can't write about the stories I'm working on but in general today was busy but a decent work day. Some interesting work and good reading. At around 3:30 I met Jenn to pick up a late lunch at our favorite Korean deli, JY Deli, on Eighth Avenue between 55th and 56th. I ate at my desk.

After work I took the W to 23rd Street to the dojo, for black belt class. It was great, very cathartic. We did some challenging and fun pre-arranged fighting techniques, and I had a couple of very good workout partners. I got a good workout and left feeling cleaner and in better spirits. I took a V train to 14th (just barely scooted in the closing doors--sweet victory!) and grabbed an L to Brooklyn. I was home before 9:00 p.m. for the second consecutive night. Nine is significant because the subway entrance closest to our home closes then. After 9:00 we have to walk an extra block. Je suffre!

On my walk home I stopped by the wonderful Sal's Pizza on Lorimer Street and got a chicken slice and a pepperoni and ham roll for five bucks, a good deal for excellent pizza.

Now I'm home and Jenn recently got home as well. We'll relax for a while and maybe check out The Daily Show. I love the show but the new set they built is really lame. It's still one of the best shows on television.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home