New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Where Worlds Collide: String Theory

It's Thursday evening, 9:45 p.m. I'm at home in Brooklyn, waiting for Jenn to get home from a dinner with friends at Capsouto Freres.

I left work at about 6:30 p.m. I was headed to an art opening for an artist friend of mine from karate. The opening was on 45th Street and Fifth Avenue and I was at 57th and Broadway so I figured instead of taking the subway I'd just have an evening stroll. It was pretty warm and muggy outside but I didn't mind. I wasn't in any particular hurry.

It's interesting walking through midtown Manhattan during the evening rush. It's a sea of humanity, so many different faces for your mind to process. Of course they blend together but you still notice certain people.

(For example, today I walked past Jessica Alba in the lobby of my building. She might have been meeting with Marie Claire magazine. She was certainly more striking than the people she was walking with, I noticed her before I figured out who she was. Of course Jenn is much prettier.)

So I was walking down Broadway and I figured I'd hang a left at 45th and walk over to Fifth Avenue. At the corner of 53rd and Broadway I saw my friend Patrick Horan standing by the building where he works. He was waiting for a woman. The woman was late.

We stood there and chatted for ten minutes or so. Patrick's an interesting guy. He just finished producing and acting in a film short called something like Cat Hates Dog or Cat Fights Dog.

We traded phone numbers and promised to get together some time this summer and I walked on to the art opening. It was held in an advertising design studio called R!ot Manhattan, where my black belt artist friend, Riva Weinstein, works sometimes.

Her show was entitled Where Worlds Collide: String Theory. Riva uses reclaimed materials, in this case, string and floor tiles from her apartment that were ruined (for their original use) after a flood.

She turns the tiles so the bottom part is facing outwards and wraps string around them in fascinating ways, creating intricate designs, both measured and chaotic, that include matrixes and long tails, or fringes and woven designs, or all of those.

It's hard to figure out what exactly it is that makes the work so engaging, but maybe it's the sensation of infinity. I spent an hour gazing at the collection, as well as some of her beautiful jewelry creations.

I also had one Red Stripe, one Heineken, two barbecued shrimp with peppers on skewers, one roast beef wrapped around asparagus skewer, and two chicken and vegetables on skewers. The food was wonderful, and the beers weren't bad either. They were served in a tub of ice, which is a beautiful thing, the urban version of a cold rushing mountain stream.

Art shows are fun, especially if you like the art and the artist. This show wasn't pretentious at all, everybody there was really cool and friendly, and I had several very pleasant conversations.

I said goodnight and congratulations to Riva and then took the subway home to Brooklyn (the F train from 42nd and Sixth, Bryant Park, to the L at Union Square).

Now I'm home and I'm going to sketch out an outline for a book idea I got last night.

1 Comments:

Blogger riva said...

Victor,
I LOVE your blog. I love all the details - and of course that you included the opening in your daily musings. You're going to be one of my fave web visits of the day! And if you don't mind, I'd love to link to your blog on my blog and website. I am so grateful that you came. It was great to spend time chatting outside the dojo.
Riva

12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home