New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Monday, June 06, 2005

Monday Night Live

I'm home from work and showered and fed. Blanche gave us some leftover pasta and it was divine.

To recap the weekend, briefly: On Friday night we went to our friends Jen and Steve's brand new apartment (new as in just built) in Park Slope, Brooklyn. Specifically I think it was on 15th Street between Seventh and Eighth Avenues. Some people might quarrel over whether that's Park Slope or Windsor Terrace but I'm not so invested in that discussion, being as we live in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, seemingly a world away. Here is a partial map of Brooklyn neighborhoods.

We had a very nice time, involving martinis, fine cheeses, olives, and martinis. I showed Steve how to use the free on-demand channels on his cable TV system and played Jay-Z videos as an example. Steve said he didn't really "get" 99 Problems but I think he secretly liked it.

Jen and Steve have a great place, which includes the use of a gym and a gazebo (which for some reason was termed a gay-zebo). We all sat in the gayzebo for a while, but it was raining so we didn't last long and went back to the apartment.

We got home that evening at around 1:00 a.m. after a lovely ride on the F and G trains.

On Saturday Jenn and I had a walk and ran some errands in the morning. In the afternoon we both went into the city together, I to the dojo and Jenn to the gym. We had to take the G train to the Manhattan-bound A train at Hoyt-Schermerhorn, because the L train was not running into Manhattan at all, due to construction. It was really a drag, but somehow we got through it.

Kumite class was excellent as always, and I stuck around afterwards for a party at the dojo in honor of our out of town guests, who were visiting us for the black belt seminar events. I helped set up for the party and hung around by the pasta table, warning people that there was meat in a few of the dishes. The majority of people were just fine with the meat. After everyone else had eaten I had a few bites myself. Then I went home and hung out with Jenn. I needed to take it easy because I had an early morning karate event the next day.

The next morning (Sunday morning) I left the house at a few minutes before 8:00 a.m. and took the G to the C to the F and got to the dojo right before 9:00 a.m. The black belt seminar was very interesting and helpful, and we worked on a kata called Seienchin and then had a lesson in the use of the bo staff as a weapon. Cool stuff.

I was at the dojo until the early afternoon and I hadn't eaten anything or even had coffee so I was really wiped out when I got home, bagels and lox spread in hand. When I finally ate my onion bagel with lox spread I felt so much better. The coffee was also magnificent.

We spent the remainder of Sunday night working on our various projects and getting ready for the week. As far as today is concerned, it was very hot in New York City, then it cooled off a bit, then it got really dark and it rained like crazy for a short time, and now it seems to be clearing up as the sun goes down. It's 8:19 p.m.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Don't forget the grapes! And I'll add that I had a fine time too, even without the martinis. Though I'm anxious to test your martini-making skills, Steven, the next time you host us. ($20 says the gay-zebo will have been forcibly removed by then).

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home