New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Saturday, June 11, 2005

Aggressive Fighting

It is Saturday evening, 6:07 p.m. and I have just gotten back from kumite class. They're never easy but today's class was particularly rough. Every fighter there was tough and we got very little rest between rounds, in some cases no rest at all.

I'm not complaining, I'm glad it was so challenging. It makes sitting in this chair, drinking this seltzer, and feeling the breeze from the fan that much more pleasant. But I did get pretty banged up. My right arm especially is scratched and bruised from blocking (or attempting to block) punches and roundhouse kicks.

I'm not sure if my endurance is that much higher now than it used to be, if I'm more adept at pacing myself, or if I'm just better at surviving in a state of total exhaustion, but I am definitely getting more and more out of these Saturday fight classes.

Today, in addition to being a great outlet for my pent up stress and anxiety, was a learning experience. One very tough fighter I went three consecutive rounds with (a fifth degree black belt) gave me some very good advice. I'm pretty good at keeping my jab going (straight punch with leading arm) but I don't pull it back fast enough before I throw the reverse punch, leaving me vulnerable to a nasty uppercut or side kick. I've felt enough of those over the years but never really knew what else I could be doing to protect myself.

Anyway, it was great to get in about twelve fights today. Now to nurse my wounds.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Sorry you had to get some scratches and bruises along with the advice. But I'm sure you left some of your opponents pretty banged up too.
You could certainly kick my pansy a*s. (Good thing we're on the same side).

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home