New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Weather or not . . .

We're supposed to go up to the Bronx tonight to see the Yankees put the whomp on the Tigers, but it's rainy and cold. Jenn and I are both not-so-secretly hoping that the game is called due to inclement weather. I would hate to skip Wednesday night black belt class to sit shivering by the left field foul pole, but I brought an extra sweater, hat, gloves, and a windbreaker just in case.

Work is not quite busy but I'm working on a very tragic story that requires a delicate balance of sensitivity and bluntness in the fact checking process. That's all I can say about it for now.

Not too much to note since the last entry. I'm still smiling hard, trying to keep the gloomy weather from invading my head. So far, so good.

Last night as I took the subway home from work I saw an undercover cop patting down a very sketchy-looking dude on the L-train platform at Union Square. I had no idea what the skell had done to warrant such attention, but it was happening in front of everyone. This particular cop must have been sort of undercover but not deeply under cover, because he really looked like a cop: big white guy with short hair, wearing a Budweiser windbreaker, jeans, and--get this--Doc Marten shoes. Just like the British Bobbies.

He emptied the contents of the guy's pockets onto a subway bench. I was trying to watch without watching. On the one hand I hate to be a rubbernecker but on the other hand anything I can learn about criminals can only make me safer (or more criminal). Plus, assuming the perp was guilty of whatever he was being investigated for, and assuming he had some kind of conscience (an unsafe assumption), public scrutiny might encourage him to get his act together. But what do I know about the criminal mind? I'm just justifying my curiousity.

I've got work to do, and I reckon I'm going to do it now.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are now glad you went. The NY Yanks are your favorite squadron. Hope we get to see em together this season.

-seth

10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home