New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Tuesday, May 31, 2005

W. Mark Felt is Deep Throat

The story of the day is clearly the revelation that former FBI number two guy W. Mark Felt was Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein's Deep Throat, the secret source of inside information about Nixon's 1972 Watergate break-in and subsequent coverup.

Felt made the admission in an upcoming article in Vanity Fair. Woodward, Bernstein, and former editor Benjamin C. Bradlee, on behalf of The Washington Post, confirmed that it's true.

I am a little embarrassed to admit I had never heard of Felt until today. I always thought the source was Henry Kissinger, because my high school government teacher thought he was and that was good enough for me.

It's a bit anticlimactic after all this time. Why would Felt reveal his identity to Vanity Fair, of all places? I think there's a coverup and a scandal in all this.

It will be interesting to read what will be written on the subject in the next few days. Let me start with one point that others will likely make:

Anonymous, confidential sources are not ideal, but they are sometimes critical in getting the truth out. Use sparingly, use carefully, and double check everything, but when the established authorities lie to you, you do whatever it takes to get to the truth, yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Imagine the stories we'd read (or write) if a Deep Throat II emerged in this administration.
Or perhaps the stories we wouldn't read, since one source is often not enough anymore to meet the threshold for publication at many news organizations--no matter how highly placed he is.

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home