New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Monday, May 30, 2005

Three-Day Weakened

Today is Memorial Day and Jenn and I had the day off work. It was a very enjoyable three-day weekend and now at the end of it we are both happy but weary.

My Saturday played out as planned in the previous entry. I went to kumite at 4:00 p.m. and it was great. Later that evening Seth and Sam dropped by our place and the four of us hung out and got Italian heros from Cono's. It was a nice time. Seth and Sam didn't stay late because they were tired from the previous night's gig in Boston.

On Sunday (yesterday) my parents arrived at our apartment at about 9:00 in the morning. They dropped off some provisions (paper towels, shower spray) and then I drove with them up to Connecticut for a party at my cousin's house to celebrate my aunt and uncle's 50th wedding anniversary. Jenn couldn't make it because she had work to do, which is a shame because it was a very nice time. The weather was sunny, the food was good, and lots of relatives who I don't see very often were there.

We drove (actually I drove) back to Brooklyn that afternoon. My parents continued on their journey back to Virginia. When I got home I hung out with Jenn and relaxed and watched TV. It was a pleasant evening.

We didn't have too much planned for today but it turned into a day of walking, another megatransect across Manhattan. We left the house at a little after noon and took the L train into Manhattan. First stop, David's Bagels. We had our bagels and grapefruit juice.

Powered by bagels, we intended to walk to Porto Rico on St. Marks Place to buy coffee beans, but when we got there, Porto Rico was closed, presumably for Labor Day. We kept walking west. I had my camera with me and snapped a bunch of photos.

We walked through Washington Square Park. The sun was shining brightly and the park was filled with people. The fountain was turned on, spraying water into the air, and a jazz duo was playing very good music near the dog run.

We continued walking west, enjoying the day and each other's company. Finally we reached the point where we could go no further when we walked all the way across West Street to the end of a pier on the Hudson River. The pier is a very nicely maintained park and we sat on a bench for a while and just zoned out in the sun and watched all the interesting New York people around us. A parade of boats sailed by on the river, including several kayaks, and helicopters kept buzzing over us in the sky, following the river. It was a pleasant scene.

Then, as if we hadn't walked enough, we walked to Western Beef on 14th Street and Ninth Avenue, right next to a restaurant called Markt. Western Beef has great prices. We bought lean, skinless, boneless chicken breast cutlets for $1.99 a pound, as well as some broccoli, carrots, and onions.

Then, finally, we took the subway back to Brooklyn and unloaded our groceries. But again, we were both antsy to go out again, so we took a quick walk to our local grocery store, C-Town. I bought a small bottle of olive oil and Jenn bought some flavored coffee creamer.

We came home and I cooked a delicious dinner. I sliced up the onions and seasoned them on both sides and then put them in a lasagna pan with olive oil and heated it in the oven. Then I added the carrots, so the bottom of the pan was all vegetables. I cooked that for a while and then I washed and seasoned the chicken breasts and placed them over the veggies. I baked the whole thing for about half an hour at 350 degrees Fahrenheit and also steamed the broccoli on the stove.

After I cleaned up Jenn and I took one more walk, just around our neighborhood. It's nice to take a walk after dinner. When we came home we drank camomile tea. Now I am sipping Pere Magloire VSOP calvados.

2 Comments:

Blogger x said...

God I miss bagels. I've been meaning to make some myself - but they still won't be the same. A propos of nothing, the guy in the apartment above us must be smoking a two-foot spliff, because I'm getting a contact high and I'm on the 16th floor.

Still no baby... how are you?

2:58 AM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Dinner was fabulous, thank you. And so was the walk.

11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home