New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Monday, May 09, 2005

Running Around

It's Monday morning, and I'm at my desk at Esquire, sipping some grapefruit juice, reflecting on the weekend. It was a pretty New Yorkey weekend for me, so I'll just give a quick rundown on what happened since Saturday's strong beer posting.

First off, an update on the strongest beer in the world: it's even better the second and third time you drink it. The bottle lasted through the whole weekend, and I finished it off last night. Moderation is the name of the game when you're drinking Utopias beer, especially since it's a hundred bucks a bottle (or free).

On Saturday afternoon I went to a very good kumite class at 4:00 p.m. Several talented fighters were present and we had some very competitive (and rough) fights. I walked out of the dojo feeling great, if a bit beaten up. My feet, shins, and forearms are bruised.

On Saturday night, Jenn went out to dinner with her friends, to celebrate Joy's birthday. I hung out at home and it was fine, since I was nursing my minor wounds. I finished reading Natasha and Other Stories by David Bezmozgis. It was very good.

Sunday was a day of running around. I took the subway in and out of Manhattan a total of three times. It's good to have an unlimited ride Metrocard.

In the morning I made a bagel run to David's on First and 14th. A very quick round trip, all in the service of bagel excellence.

Later in the afternoon I convinced Jenn to come into the city with me for a walk. The weather was cool with periods of sunshine. Not bad. We started out at West Fourth Street in the Village.

Our first stop was Porto Rico on Bleecker Street to buy coffee beans. From there we walked all the way downtown to City Hall Park, where we sat on a bench and looked at the pretty fountain for a few minutes. Then we took the subway home. When I got home I remembered that my second cousin Amity Gaige was having a reading from her new book at KGB Bar on East Fourth Street.

After resting a few moments, Jenn and I left the house again and went into Manhattan. We arrived at 7:05 p.m., said hi to Amity, her sister and mom, and my cousin Sarma. We enjoyed the reading. Amity read from her first novel, O My Darling. Since this blog will now show up when people search that book or her name, I'd like to wholeheartedly endorse this engaging and enjoyable novel about the intricacies of relationships and our relation with past memories. I only just got a copy of the book but I'm deeply engrossed in it already. I was reading it on the subway just this morning.

For more information on Amity's book, go here.

Jenn and I left KGB after Amity's reading and came home. We were pretty beat from running all over the city, so we tidied the house a bit and went to bed.

Now it's Monday, and I need to get started on my Esquire stuff. We're wrapping up the July issue now and things are getting pretty busy. I'll try to write something more heartfelt tonight after work. For now just consider this a bare-bones update on my life in New York.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home