New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Friday, May 13, 2005

Clubbing in NYC

Last night Jenn and I went to the opening of a new restaurant and nightclub called Salon, located on West Street on the far west side of Greenwich Village. The party probably ran pretty late into the night, but, as a married couple with jobs, we were part of the early crew.

It officially started at 9:30 p.m. but we arrived fashionably late at 10:00 p.m. Salon is a two-level place with a, well, salon motif. It has high ceilings, big windows overlooking the Hudson River (and West Side Highway), circular banquettes, and a big, antique clock on the wall that was about an hour slow. I really liked the clock, and I really wanted it to be set to the right time.

The place was just filling up when we arrived. Jenn greeted the owners and introduced me, and then we went upstairs and got some drinks. At first we sat down in a big banquette with a view of the very talented swing band that was playing. It was quite comfortable and my martini was excellent (I think it was Finlandia vodka but I didn't specify). We were living pretty large in our fancy V.I.P. booth and did our best celebrity act, but then we decided not to monopolize a booth that could easily accomodate six people, so we moved to the bar, where we found two barstools waiting for us.

The band was playing really nice swing/big band music, and I couldn't believe that the crowd didn't give them a big round of applause when they finished their first set, so I applauded enthusiastically, and my enthusiasm quickly spread to others, and finally they got a decent round of applause, thanks to me. No, I wasn't drunk.

Jenn and I stayed at the bar for a few minutes and checked out the parade of beautiful people filing past us. All along the bar were young women wearing strappy tank tops and behind them were men with collared shirts. Jenn and I had fun talking about people for a while, and then we decided to hit the road and get on the L-train before they began construction work at 11:00 p.m.

So we spent about 45 minutes in the bar, had a couple of drinks, and got a glimpse of fabulous and fashionable New York (the early crew, anyway). Then we went home and caught the last few minutes of the Daily Show (the moment of Zen).

Today is Friday, and I am at work. We've got a couple of things to do to wrap up the August issue. This weekend I've got to work on a freelance story, as well as do my normal, save-the-world kind of stuff.

1 Comments:

Blogger x said...

Ah, nightlife. I remember that. Well, starting in June I plan to be up late every weeknight too - cleaning up various baby-related fluids, that is. What a glamorous life I lead...

5:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home