New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Monday, April 04, 2005

Two Accomplishments

On Saturday I got my income tax returns done and for once the news was good, and I am getting a modest refund. Last year I was a dummy, and I hadn't paid enough estimated taxes against my freelance work. This year I overpaid. I know the tax professionals would consider that a dumb move too, but it sure beats owing.

I woke up really early on Sunday. The alarm went off at 5:30 a.m. but since daylight savings time had just begun it was really like 4:30 a.m. I gulped down coffee and got ready and went to the dojo.

It was the final day of black belt promotion (see various entries below) and, according to tradition, they saved the best for last: kumite. The idea is to test the candidates' conditioning, control, and spirit. I was there as a helper, not a candidate myself. I went through that a year ago. But I was happy to help and also support the group going up.

The fights were pretty good, and everybody fought with good energy and spirit. I was glad to be a part of it, although I took a hard kidney shot that put me down on one knee for about five seconds. It felt like getting hit with a Tazer (I imagine). It was kind of electric. I also have a bruised shin.

It always feels weird to be doing something as unique as kumite so early on a Sunday morning. Once you start to wake up yourself you start to pity all the people who slept through it. It's like, what did you do today? Brunch, huh. Wow.

I stayed for the awarding of the black belts, gave them the proper bows and congratulations, and came home, stopping by the bagel shop on the way. Jenn was still in bed when I arrived at home around 10:00 a.m.

I managed to stay up the whole day without napping, but I slept pretty hard last night. Now it's Monday and the weather is looking pretty nice.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Congratulations to you on your two accomplishments (and to the new shodons for earning their first black belt)!

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home