New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Monday, April 18, 2005

Still Ill

I'm still ill, yet I am at work today, because as a freelancer I have no paid sick days. I'm feeling slightly better than I did yesterday, but my health is still dodgy, and my fever is well-nigh triple digits. If I was a full-time employee there's no way I'd be here today. That's how it is.

Over the weekend I was really sick, like Pink Floyd Comfortably Numb sick (though my hands didn't feel like two balloons). I spent almost the entire weekend in bed. My hair started to get matted, as though it were in the earliest stages of becoming dreadlocks. I had weird dreams that I can't remember too clearly, but in one dream I was hiking and went into a cave or underground bunker and didn't have a light, and then I lost my backpack.

I was also able to really listen to the sounds that come from the backyards and gardens of our neighboring apartments. At first I found the screaming little kids kind of annoying, but I grew to appreciate their young voices. Their heavily-Brooklyn-accented mother/caretaker was much harder to stomach, however. She's never not yelling. It's always something like "What did I tell you?" It makes me happy that the kids ignore her.

I also haven't eaten much. Some grapefruit, some tea, some cookies. Most of a bagel. Not much. I'm going to get something for lunch in a bit. The irony is that the weather outside today is spectacular. Warm and sunny, exactly unlike my health.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rob Horning said...

Sorry to hear you are ill. May I recommend Umcka, a fine Zulu remedy that may or may not have helped me when I was sick a few weeks ago? If you believe strongly enough, you can leverage the placebo effect to your advantage.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Sorry you're still feeling ill. Here's hoping you're full-time--and feeling better--soon.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home