New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Rainy Wednesday

I'm happy to report that New York has reverted to its usual ways today. The light rain that's been falling all morning has brought out the inner jerk in millions of New Yorkers. People were pushing and shoving and generally rude on the subway, following the unwritten subway rules I've been coming up with during my decade in the city.

Rule number one is, despite the admonitions of the conductor, some people will never allow passengers to exit the train before they board the train. As far as they're concerned, as soon as the doors open it's every man for himself. People getting off the train have to navigate a bulked-up offensive line just to step onto the platform. There was a lot of that this morning.

As for me, it wasn't such a big deal. I got where I needed to go. Now I'm at work and thinking about which stories I should be tackling first. I'm also waiting for one final interview for a Star-Ledger story. I might never get that interview, because, as the PR person explained, I'm dealing with an Orthodox company during Passover. I can probably write around it if I must.

Jenn took off for Arizona this morning. She'll be there until Sunday. John is coming for a visit over the weekend while she's gone. He'll be arriving on Thursday night.

1 Comments:

Blogger Sandi said...

If the subway designers had thought about people getting on and off they may have designed the cars in such a way that people getting on do so on one side and people getting off do so on the other side. But I guess that would be to sensible, plus a total redesign on the whole system at this point.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home