New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, April 21, 2005

First Air Conditioning of 2005

I've drifted off the topic of this blog in recent posts. I've been writing about myself and my illness and my brave struggle to regain my health. In short, I've been self-absorbed in my blog. How very un-bloglike.

Now I'd like to get back to the purpose of this blog, which is to keep abreast of the collective psyche of New Yorkers, as I see it. Today is Thursday, and the weather is beautiful. It's much cooler today than it was yesterday, but the sun is out and the sky is blue. Yesterday was really warm, unseasonably warm. So warm, in fact, that I heard the hum of air conditioners around our house for the first time this year.

I thought that was a bit ridiculous, but then I'm famously reluctant to turn on the AC until the weather is truly sweltering (read: I am famously cheap). We do have an A/C that does its best, but it doesn't work very well, and it makes our electric bill climb through the roof.

The air conditioners went on at work for the first time this year as well. That was fine with me, because without the AC it's absolutely sweltering in our offices. Also, I don't have to pay that electric bill.

After work a few of my coworkers played Ultimate Frisbee in the park, but I declined, for health reasons. If I had my health I would have gone to the dojo for black belt class. As it happens, I just went home and relaxed.

The collective mood of the New Yorkers I observed on my commute to the office this morning was a bit weird. I think people were taken aback by the sudden summer weather. The subways weren't very crowded but maybe that was just my timing, i.e. I may have caught trains that followed very close on the heels of other, more crowded trains. But there were no freak-outs, no violent incidents, no religious nuts, and nobody trying to sell a single pair of sunglasses (yesterday there was one of those).

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

No need to worry about spiking electric bills yet (at least not from AC use). Temps are supposed to drop back into the 50s tomorrow. Hope Hearst gets the memo and shuts off the AC so you don't get sick again.

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home