New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Emerging, Reborn

I feel better today. My fever is gone. I have just been through five days of sweats, shivers, and visions. Today, while I still have a sore throat, hacking cough, and a disheveled appearance, I feel significantly better than I have felt since early Friday. I'm not all the way back to good health, but I'm mostly there.

It's been an interesting experience, and not one I'd wish on anyone else, but transformative. I haven't spent so much time in bed sleeping, or trying to sleep, in years. I found a deeper level of consciousness (or unconsciousness) while snoozing by my open second story window. So many different sounds echoed across the courtyards of Leonard Street in Brooklyn.

In the early morning I could hear the sounds of birds chirping, and could actually discern different types of bird calls. I don't know what they're saying but they seem to be happy that the weather is nice. I could hear the old ladies talking to each other in Italian as they tidied up their back alley gardens, and as I felt the warm breeze across my face I could easily imagine myself in Italy. I could hear the little kids screaming in glee as they played with each other, then screaming bloody murder at the various injustices they perpetrated on one another. Then big Brooklyn mama would come out and yell at everybody and the fun was over.

For me the fun is just beginning. I'm getting my health back and I do appreciate it more than I did before this great illness odyssey. I hope to take advantage of my good health and do productive things now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jenn said...

Glad you're mostly back to good health. I'm starting to feel and look more like myself today too.
By the weekend, we should be ready to get out and enjoy this suddenly springlike weather we've mostly slept through (let's hope it stays this nice till then).

12:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home