New York City Diary

Words and pictures from my interesting life in New York.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Brooklyn, New York, United States

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Club Macanudo

After work last night Jenn and I went to a Glenlivet tasting at Club Macanudo, a swanky restaurant and bar and cigar lounge on East 63rd. Glenlivet was launching a 15-year-old French Oak Reserve Scotch, and Macanudo paired it with their Vintage Cabinet Selection 1997 cigars.

Club Macanudo is an elegant and presumably expensive place, and we'd probably never go there if we weren't invited to an event. There were pictures of Native Americans on the walls and leather armchairs, just like you'd expect. Our dinner was pretty good. I had the steak and Jenn had salmon.

After dinner they brought out the Scotch and cigars. Jim Cryle, Glenlivet's kilt-wearing master distiller, and Benji Menendez, Macanudo's cigar master, said a few words about their products and then we all had a toast. Jenn and I had actually met Jim Cryle before, at a Glenlivet salmon bake last year, where we drank a 40-year-old Scotch.

The Scotch was excellent, and so were the cigars. I don't normally smoke cigars, but it seemed like a good idea at the time and the perfect environment to do it. Jenn gave the cigars a pass but sipped the Scotch. We lingered for a while and talked to writers from The New York Daily News, Cigar Aficionado, and Golf magazine, as well as a guy from Glenlivet. We had a very nice time.

We took the subway home and walked through our front door at exactly 11:30 p.m. which meant we missed the Daily Show, but no matter. We can catch it another time.

I'm going to be kind of busy today, so I'll have to wrap this up. I was, until recently, planning to go to karate after work tonight, but, like a bonehead, I brought my gi but forgot to grab my belt. Ultimately, it's fine, because tonight I need to pack for our whitewater rafting trip this weekend. I'll be leaving for Indian Lake, New York straight from work tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home